You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-11 22:09:47

rezza

Can't use alt-f1 to switch to console

I'm using gnome on my NB100 netbook. Everything is working great apart from a few small issues:

I can't use ctrl-alt-f1 etc to switch to the console - nothing happens, and
I can't use ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X - again, nothing happens.

Also, when I shut down from the shutdown dialog in gnome, nothing happens. If I open up a terminal and run "sudo killall Xorg" then X dies and the machine proceeds to shutdown. I can see in the console that it hasn't started to change the runlevel until I manually kill Xorg.

I have checked in xev just in case that Xorg wasn't recognizing the ctrl or alt keys properly, but no problems there.

To be honest I'm stumped. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Last edited by rezza (2009-03-11 23:08:31)

#2 2009-03-11 22:18:47

koch

Re: Can't use alt-f1 to switch to console

#3 2009-03-11 22:28:49

rezza

koch wrote:

Hmm, thanks, but I'm not quite sure what that has to do with my problems. Do you mean that you think my problems will be gone if I switch to a new version of xorg-server? I'm not crazy about starting to use testing packages on this machine, but I will do if nothing else works.

#4 2009-03-11 22:37:15

Rasi
Website

rezza wrote:

I'm using gnome on my NB100 netbook. Everything is working great apart from a few small issues:

I can't use alt-f1 etc to switch to the console - nothing happens, and
I can't use ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X - again, nothing happens.

Also, when I shut down from the shutdown dialog in gnome, nothing happens. If I open up a terminal and run "sudo killall Xorg" then X dies and the machine proceeds to shutdown. I can see in the console that it hasn't started to change the runlevel until I manually kill Xorg.

I have checked in xev just in case that Xorg wasn't recognizing the ctrl or alt keys properly, but no problems there.

To be honest I'm stumped. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Its alt+ctrl+f1

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#5 2009-03-11 22:48:14

rezza

Rasi wrote:

Its alt+ctrl+f1

Yes, I know. That was just a typo.

Board footer