You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-02 13:41:58

schome1

can't install arch

I have been using Arch Linux for about 8 months now and I love it.  The problem is that I can't upgrade to .7 using the beta CD.  Here's the scoop.  I purchased a pcHDTV HD3000 TV card (www.pchdtv.com) for Linux.  I was hoping I could use it with Arch, but then found that it's only supported on fedora and soon suse and gentoo.  So I reluctantly installed fedora - which I disliked very much.  Then I went to gentoo - which was too long of an install process.  When I went to try suse, I couldn't get my usb keyboard and mouse to stay on through the install process.  So after a little frustration I went back to Arch.  Unfortunately, the install CD stops when it tries to see the USB keyboard and mouse.  It says

Attempting to load USB HID Support...

Here's the strange thing.  I do have keyboard control when the cd is first running.  Then when it gets the the message above, I lose it and my only option is to reboot.  This also happens with the Arch live cd when it asks if I want to use the thumb drive.  Only in that case, my usb keyboard and mouse are lit up, but it won't accept any input from them.

I have an MSI 6827-110 Neo2 P series motherboard with a P4 3.2 ghz processor and 1 gig of RAM (all needed for HDTV).  I did find that there is a kernel for the HDTV card and that I may be able to use Arch Linux after all  smile   So I would really like to know if anyone else is having this problem and if so, how to correct it by still using USB input devices.

I should also mention that in my bios, the usb controllers are enabled and I have legacy support for all usb devices enabled (I could select ALL|Keyboard+Mouse|Disabled).

Other then that, a Knoppix live CD does work.  Windows XP (I hate to say it) does work.  It's just the gentoo live cd, Arch live cd, and the Arch install cd (I did get the Suse CD to work, but cancelled because I really wanted to go back and install Arch) that did not work.

Thanks for any help.

#2 2004-11-02 14:11:14

xerxes2
Website

Re: can't install arch

usb is not built-in on beta2,
change to ps/2 keyboard or download beta1 here ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/suns … 7/iso/i686

good luck

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-11-03 04:10:27

schome1

Well, I dowloaded the .7 beta1 and I still can't get past the

attempting to load USB HID support...

portion of the install.  So I disconnected my USB keyboard and mouse and connected a PS/2 keyboard.  Again, it stopped at the same output line.  So I inserted the Arch live CD again, and again, it locks up at the point where it asks if you want to use the thumb drive.  So I put in the Knoppix live CD and it booted fine.

At this point, I am lost.  I have never had a problem like this before, suspecting that my USB hardware is malfunctioning only to have another distros live CD run flawlessly.  The fact that the Installs won't work with the PS/2 keyboard is frustrating as well.

...Just tried updating my bios thinking that would fix the problems - no luck.  Any ideas?  I cannot install Arch on this system no matter what I do!  I am no longer fond of MSI motherboards.

#4 2004-11-06 12:06:54

Lugash

Is USB Legacy support enabled in the BIOS? (If you can get into the BIOS with your USB keyboard, it probably is)

#5 2004-11-08 17:39:35

schome1

Problems solved.

I did have USB Legacy Support enabled.  But the problem was on the motherboard.  My new MSI motherboard was doing something strange with the USB controller.  So I sent it back for a new ASUS P4P800.  Although this motherboard still did not allow me to use my usb keyboard and mouse for the install (I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard for the install), it did allow me to do everything else.  Since a post said that usb was not on the .7 beta 2 disc, this makes sense to me.

Board footer