You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-11 18:48:26

playdayz

xfce 4.6 not managing desktop?

I just upgraded, including xfce 4.6, and it appears that xfce is not managing the desktop.  The desktop is black and right-clicking on the desktop does not open a menu.  I thought I remembered that there was an option somewhere in the settings to have xfce manage the desktop but of course I cannot find it now.  The upper panel is present and I had to add a menu to it, but I can get a menu now. I wasn't watching when it updated.  On the basis of forum discussions I did check that saturation was at 1.0--it is and so that is not the problem.  The lack of right-click menu tells me that xfce is not managing the desktop.  I'll keep looking.  thanks.

More: the pacman.log doesn't seem to have anything useful.  gnome 2.24.3 manages the desktop normally, as does blackbox.

Last edited by playdayz (2009-03-11 19:09:14)

#2 2009-03-11 22:20:35

HashBox

Re: xfce 4.6 not managing desktop?

Try making sure that xfdesktop is running, chances are it isn't which is why you get a black background smile
If you start xfce from .xinitrc just add "xfdesktop &" before xfwm4

#3 2009-03-12 03:33:01

playdayz

Thanks HashBox.  That got it of course; as soon as I saw it I thought, "Well, duh."  And after one start the session manager picked it up.  So I'm in business.

#4 2009-03-12 11:13:00

5motion

I have similar problem, after first login from slim xfdesktop started well but after relogin it disappeared, I cant turn it with xfdesktop & in xinitrc, I dont know why, nothing special in logs but very strange thing from tty1 xfce session started well, there is some problem with xfdesktop process it seems that after logout it cant be killed and maybe lost connection to display or something about it, I can see it in ps but desktop is black and not managed, I can start this process only from terminal.

Sorry for my bad english smile

Board footer