You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-02 17:49:00

sud_crow
Website

Pacman gooooing up!

Hi,

Well, ive been lost for quite some time, but i couldnt resist quoting this:

Question: What package manager does Frugalware use?

Answer: We don't have our own package manager, we use Judd Vinet's great work, the pacman package manager. It's a tar.gz based package manager, similar to Slackware's .tgz. Our packages' extension is .fpm to differentiate them from regular tarballs. Unlike Slackware's scripts, pacman is written in C, so it's much faster.

I found this in http://frugalware.org/about.php

This is the about page of a new distribution, which seems to be from Hungary, and its first release just got published in Distrowatch, thats why i ended there.

Finally Pacman is getting the atention it deserves, as to my consideration, Arch greatest feature is Pacman (along with the community wink.

Judd, congrats!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2004-11-02 18:05:02

contrasutra

Re: Pacman gooooing up!

I believe Frugalware is a fork of Arch, so it makes sense to use Pacman.

Not sure though. I have yet to see what the point of this distro is. It seems like it's made by a bunch of kids as a learning experience. Hard to tell, so many typos on the FAQ. tongue

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2004-11-02 20:43:44

z4ziggy
Website

Re: Pacman gooooing up!

yep, i looked there too, seems a nice idea - slackware based distro, with arch packaging... u cant go wrong with that wink i think i will give them sometime before trying to install it - they dont even have forums yet so u pretty much on your own, and their mailing list... tongue

Board footer