You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-28 00:38:10

pogeymanz

Trying to make PekWM juuuust right.

Pretty good so far.

1: urxvt doesn't do true transparency in pekwm with xcompmgr. Why not and what can I do to fix it?
2: This probably is hopeless, but in Openbox, when I scroll over the desktop it switches workspaces instantly and it I scroll REALLY fast, it flies through the workspaces REALLY fast. In Pekwm, when I scroll it pauses just a little bit between each workspace. I already have
    ShowWorkspaceIndicator = "0" set in my config file, so I think it's hopeless to want it even faster.

3: Here is part of config-

Placement {
        Model = "CenteredOnParent Smart"
        Smart {
            Row = "True"
            TopToBottom = "True"
            LeftToRight = "True"
            OffsetX = "0"
            OffsetY = "0"
        }
    }

Yet, all my windows open in the top-left corner of my screen. What gives? I am using the git version.

4: And how do I get my workspaces to wrap around? i.e., I want to go from Desk4 to Desk1 with the "move to the right" command.

Last edited by pogeymanz (2009-03-13 00:16:53)

#2 2009-01-28 00:53:05

SamC
Website

Re: Trying to make PekWM juuuust right.

1. We need more information. How are you starting xcompmgr? Does your card support compositing, and is it enabled? Do you have the right settings in your ~/.Xdefaults, or how are you starting urxvt?

As for two and three, I don't actually use pekwm at the moment.

#3 2009-01-28 01:20:22

pogeymanz

Well, that's the thing. I start xcompmgr automatically, with no arguments. And my .Xdefaults is like this:

urxvt*depth: 32
urxvt*background: rgba:0000/0000/0000/eeee
!urxvt*foreground:  #1cc600
urxvt*foreground:  #aaaaaa
!urxvt*background:  #000000

And it works with Openbox and Compiz and Xfwm, yet using the exact same configs doesn't work in pekwm.

#4 2009-01-28 01:24:45

SamC
Website

Do you have the menus configured correctly? The default terminal for pekwm is xterm, which doesn't have transparency. Also, try capitalizing the first two letters of urxvt (URxvt) so that all windows with the class URxvt are transparent, not just those with the name urxvt.

#5 2009-01-28 20:50:44

pogeymanz

I changed the urxvt's to URxvt's and still no go. I just don't think xcompmgr works with pekwm... Any solutions for the other questions?

#6 2009-01-28 20:57:38

u_no_hu

see the urxvt faq for transparency without xcompmgr.........

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#7 2009-01-30 21:25:06

TheBodziO
Website

pogeymanz wrote:

I just don't think xcompmgr works with pekwm...

Yes it does! I have it running on my gear.

Ad. 2. Is it similarly sluggish without xcompmgr engaged? Also try to tinker with xcomp parameters (I don't know how sane they are for default), I have "-Cc" set.

Ad. 3. Maybe it's the git' thing? I have the same config for my 0.1.9a (beside added "MouseNotUnder") and it works as expected.

Ad. 4. Look for "WarpToWorkspace" in http://www.pekwm.org/files/pekwm/doc/0. … mouse.html

Does the same mess happens with pekwm from repos?

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#8 2009-03-13 00:16:32

pogeymanz

pogeymanz wrote:

Pretty good so far.

1: urxvt doesn't do true transparency in pekwm with xcompmgr. Why not and what can I do to fix it?
2: This probably is hopeless, but in Openbox, when I scroll over the desktop it switches workspaces instantly and it I scroll REALLY fast, it flies through the workspaces REALLY fast. In Pekwm, when I scroll it pauses just a little bit between each workspace. I already have
    ShowWorkspaceIndicator = "0" set in my config file, so I think it's hopeless to want it even faster.

3: Here is part of config-

Placement {
        Model = "CenteredOnParent Smart"
        Smart {
            Row = "True"
            TopToBottom = "True"
            LeftToRight = "True"
            OffsetX = "0"
            OffsetY = "0"
        }
    }

Yet, all my windows open in the top-left corner of my screen. What gives? I am using the git version.

4: And how do I get my workspaces to wrap around? i.e., I want to go from Desk4 to Desk1 with the "move to the right" command.

Well, a few months later and I decided to go back to PekWM for another shot.

#1 is still a problem. Should I file a bug?
#2 I figured out. The problem is that I made the actions in .pekwm/mouse say:

ButtonRelease = "5" { Actions = "HideAllMenus; GoToWorkspace Right" }

The solution was to have:

ButtonPress = "5" { Actions = "HideAllMenus; GoToWorkspace Right" }

Now the scrolling on the root window is much snappier, like Openbox's, because it doesn't have to wait for the scroll button to be "released", whatever that means...
#3 Pretty much went away by itself...
#4 Just use "Next" instead of "Right" and "Prev" instead of "Left" wherever it says "GoToWorkspace ____"

Last edited by pogeymanz (2009-03-13 00:18:33)

#9 2009-03-13 00:48:20

HashBox

I just wanted to say that xcompmgr does not work on my version of pekwm (0.1.10), and I think this has to do with the way it reparents windows, I've been digging into this a bit myself and it seems the parent frame needs to be created with the same depth as the child window or else the transparency doesn't work. Pekwm might support this in git, I'm not too sure, but it is something which would seemingly require a patch.

#10 2009-03-13 17:10:02

moljac024

Has anyone ever gotten xfce4-panel to run properly on PekWM ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#11 2009-03-13 21:10:59

pogeymanz

moljac024 wrote:

Has anyone ever gotten xfce4-panel to run properly on PekWM ?

If your talking about what I think you're talking about, no.

I'm using it right now, and yes, PekWM knows it's a panel, and it is automatically sticky and doesn't show up in Alt+Tab windows, etc. However, if I click on the panel and then use a Hot Key combo such as Mod4+I, xfce4-panel takes the command. In this case, it will iconify and then I have no way of restoring it (because it doesn't show up in the window lists!!)

Board footer