You are not logged in.

#26 2009-03-09 16:59:54

proc

Re: Archlinux i586 announcement

kjon kindly donated some server resources. I'm setting things up for a new mirror.
Thanks kjon for your support!

Please consider starring http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/detail?id=2293 to let google code support team know this issue is important for us.

#27 2009-03-11 13:40:07

FlyingDutchman

proc wrote:

Hi,

my name is Massimiliano Brocchini (aka Proc) and I'd like to officially announce my Archlinux-i586 project.
The aim of the project is to have an i586 installation CD and reasonably sized package repositories.

The project is under active development and already usable (starting from a Lowarch installation).

This is the project homepage: http://code.google.com/p/archlinux-i586/

Now you can finally run your favorite distro also on your older PCs cool

Dear Proc,
you started a great project helping not just to utilize an old machine, but also to run Arch on a quite modern micro-net-PC like Geode-based Alix PC-boards. I'm going to purchase this board soon to make a silent home server-router and I would like to install Arch there. Unfortunately Geode is not i686. I hope your project will help me. Thank you!

#28 2009-03-12 21:40:02

proc

Thanks to kjon we now have a new mirror... due to google code's bug #2293 I moved the main repository to kjon server.
You can use pacman -Sy pacman-mirrorlist to switch to the new repository.

FlyingDutchman wrote:

Dear Proc,
you started a great project helping not just to utilize an old machine, but also to run Arch on a quite modern micro-net-PC like Geode-based Alix PC-boards. I'm going to purchase this board soon to make a silent home server-router and I would like to install Arch there. Unfortunately Geode is not i686. I hope your project will help me. Thank you!

Thanks. It should work out of the box.

#29 2009-03-13 14:16:42

flpi

Hi,
first of all, big thanks to all involved people developing i586 Arch.

But I have a few problems. Because of the old lowarch install iso, I installed the i686 Arch within a virtual a machine. Next step was downloading and installing the pacman-mirrorlist package frome googlecode. After that i did a pacman -Sy pacman-mirrorlist to get access to the new mirror smile (here the first problem appears when the install script moves around the different mirrorlists, because there was no mirrrorlist.pacnew file after install, I renamed the original mirrorlist already tongue )

Okay, next step is to replace all the i686 packages, which does not work as expected:

pacman wrote:

error: scriptlet failed to execute correctly

Thats the message which appears when reinstalling bash for example. It's also appearing with many other packages, but not with all.
When using the original i686 mirrorlist, everything works fine.
So is it a i586 packaging error or is there something to do with my configuration? I think it might be the first one, cause I also tried the old lowarch iso with the same errors.

One more strange thing: Yesterday when trying around a bit, there was an error not finding the kernel26-firmware image in i586 repo. Today, trying with a new install, this package seems not to be required, even pacman -Q does not list it. Both were installed from the same arch-isos.

I hope someone can help, thanks!

#30 2009-03-13 15:10:52

proc

flpi wrote:

Hi,
first of all, big thanks to all involved people developing i586 Arch.

But I have a few problems. Because of the old lowarch install iso, I installed the i686 Arch within a virtual a machine.

Hope this works, it has not been tried yet with i686 -> i586. I hope everything goes well when you replace glibc.
Anyway updating Lowarch is not very difficult, please see: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 75#p489075

flpi wrote:

Next step was downloading and installing the pacman-mirrorlist package frome googlecode. After that i did a pacman -Sy pacman-mirrorlist to get access to the new mirror smile (here the first problem appears when the install script moves around the different mirrorlists, because there was no mirrrorlist.pacnew file after install, I renamed the original mirrorlist already tongue )

Probably I should add a test before renaming files... and I should avoid moving repositories after a tiring work day smile

flpi wrote:

Okay, next step is to replace all the i686 packages, which does not work as expected:

pacman wrote:

error: scriptlet failed to execute correctly

Thats the message which appears when reinstalling bash for example. It's also appearing with many other packages, but not with all.
When using the original i686 mirrorlist, everything works fine.
So is it a i586 packaging error or is there something to do with my configuration? I think it might be the first one, cause I also tried the old lowarch iso with the same errors.

It seems it's something connected to the ISO installation process: some post_install functions assume you have a /usr/share/info/ directory in your system, but I'm not clear who should create it if not the ISO installer.
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch … 09422.html
I will have to investigate.

flpi wrote:

One more strange thing: Yesterday when trying around a bit, there was an error not finding the kernel26-firmware image in i586 repo. Today, trying with a new install, this package seems not to be required, even pacman -Q does not list it. Both were installed from the same arch-isos.

I hope someone can help, thanks!

kernel26-firmware was indeed missing from the repository.
I had to rewrite part of my repository updating scripts and a bug prevented kernel26-firmware from being inserted.
Thanks for reporting.

#31 2009-03-13 16:59:06

flpi

proc wrote:

It seems it's something connected to the ISO installation process: some post_install functions assume you have a /usr/share/info/ directory in your system, but I'm not clear who should create it if not the ISO installer.
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch … 09422.html
I will have to investigate.

The strange thing is, that /usr/share/info/  exists. When installing bash from i686 repo, there is also a /usr/share/info/bash.info.gz file. When I change to i586 repo and reinstall bash, the scriptlet error appears and the bash.info.gz is missing.
It's not only bash where it is not working, it's only one package of many where the scriptlet error appears.

[EDIT]
I have downloaded the bash package from googlecode and found out, that the /usr/share/info directory does not exist within that package at all. May be there is some software missing on your build-pc, so that these info files are not generated during build process?

Last edited by flpi (2009-03-15 10:30:18)

#32 2009-03-13 22:08:03

ssl6

this is perfect, i've been looking around for a 586 distro for an hour now, i've found a few that seem popular, but i had a hard enough learning my way around arch, for me to switch to another distro for one of my 5 systems, would take me forever. i guess ill just wait for this i586 arch install CD

just a though, not sure if its a good one, considering how informed i am on this topic.....but maybe an optional 2.4 kernel would be nice in the i586 repo, i mean, is a 2.6 kernel really necessary for machines that old? maybe 2.4 might lighten the load, i dont really know though

Last edited by ssl6 (2009-03-13 22:09:55)

this is a signature

#33 2009-04-27 15:52:01

killajoe
Website

So wats goin on with the project ??? nothin new? a iso?
Someone knows? proc?

Cancel me not -- for what then shall remain?
Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes, A root or two, a torus and a node:
The inverse of my verse, a null domain.
-- Stanislaw Lem, The Cyberiad

#34 2009-04-28 07:24:41

proc

Unfortunately I'm really busy, hope to find some spare time to upgrade some packages and put up an Italian mirror.

Board footer