You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-03 06:34:23

madhattr

sata arch

does anyone in here know anything about sata hardrives in arch. I have my seagate sata hardrive installed and it is located at /dev/discs/disc2/disc is there a way i can mount it or access it. how can i formate it for linux? smile

#2 2004-11-03 07:14:50

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: sata arch

fdisk /dev/discs/disc2/disc
or
cfdisk /dev/discs/disc2/disc

setup partitions, then format with the desired filesystem (can't recall the command--google it).
I think sata is a kernel compile option. I don't know if it is enabled by default in arch..havent used it.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-11-03 23:35:19

madhattr

ok, i just formatted the hardrive with

Then

chmod 777 /dev/discs/disc2/disc

I then tryed to mount it:

mount /dev/discs/disc2/disc

and go this error

mount: can't find /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Do I need to add this to my fstab and if so how?

#4 2004-11-03 23:39:25

z4ziggy
Website

u probably dont have a coresponding line for /dev/discs/disc2/disc in your /etc/fstab. either u add a line, or type :

mount /dev/discs/disc2/disc /mnt

#5 2004-11-03 23:54:46

skeeterbug
Website

That isn't formatting the disk - that is partitioning.  In order to 'format' in Linux you're really just creating a filesystem on one of your partitions that you created with fdisk/cfdisk.  You can use a command like 'mkfs.ext3 /dev/disks/disc2/part?' or mkfs.reiser (not sure on the reiser since I don't use it and not sure about the /dev/disks thing since I've migrated to udev).

chmod 777 /dev/discs/disc2/disc

Shouldn't need to do this.

mount /dev/discs/disc2/disc

You didn't give it a mount point like /mnt or something and since you didn't it looked in fstab to find out if it was in there _with_ a mount point but it wasn't so it gave you an error.  You'll have to man fstab to figure out how to do it or use your existing one as kind of a model.  It'll be something like:

/dev/discs/disc2/part?          /mnt   ext3      defaults             0      1

Read the man page to see what the fields mean but in general it's the device, mount point, filesystem, options (or something), something about dumping the filesystem (I've always set it to 0), and order of fsck (check filesystem) usually 0 if boot disk and 1 if not (I think)

HTH

#6 2004-11-04 01:49:41

kakabaratruskia

skeeterbug wrote:

mkfs.reiser (not sure on the reiser since I don't use it and not sure about the /dev/disks thing since I've migrated to udev).

Actually for raiser it's mkreiserfs

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#7 2004-11-04 05:05:17

madhattr

I went ahead and added
/dev/discs/disc2/disc /mnt ext3 defaults 0 1
to my fstab

I went ahead and created a fiesystem on the disk "ext3", Then i went ahead and:
mount /dev/discs/disc2/disc /mnt
and it mounted the hardrive.

I went ahead and did a quick reboot and it failed to load the new hardrive, it gave me some errors but i am cannot remember what the errors were, it booted pretty fast. something about cannot mount /mnt/ext3 on filesystem somethin? I do not think my fstab entry workec. or possibly i  havent done something needed yet.

My attempt is to get this installed working and be able to browse my sata hd in nautilus via computer:///

I also just wanted to thank all the kind posters on the arch forums, you are some of the most helpful linux gurus, i have found. You guys OWN!

#8 2004-11-04 07:45:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

you still need to create the filesystem to be able to mount it.
and you likely need to create a directory in /mnt.
mkdir /mnt/sparedrive
then change the fstab from /mnt to /mnt/sparedrive

but, you really do need to create a filesystem on that disk before you do anything else..
fdisk it first
then format it
then mount it

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#9 2004-11-04 07:54:45

madhattr

i have a filesystem installed on the disk ext3

#10 2004-11-05 06:39:21

madhattr

ok, i have the filesystem mounted!!
when i type:
mount /dev/discs/disc1/disc1 /mnt
in /mnt i now see /shd

I would like to now be able to see this hardrive in nautilus as user when i browse to computer:\ When i am in nautilus as root i see my cdrom drives unmounted is there a way i can get this to happen for users as well! Also is there a way to make my sata hd automount so i do not have to go through the commants of mount /dev/discs/disc1/disc1 /mnt each time.

When i go to gnome menu > Desktop Prefrences > removeable storage i get this error in gnome

Volume Management not Supported

The "hald" service is required but not currently running. Enable the service and rerun this applet, or contact your system administrator.

How can i get the hald service running, my end goal is to get it so i can browse to computer:\ in nautilus and see all my cd-rom drives regardless of whether they are mounted and my sata hd!

Board footer