You are not logged in.

#126 2009-03-02 22:44:54

initbox

Re: Arch on Samsung NC10 ?

Yay I got my NC10 today! This thing is amazing! So light and compact,, very powerful. I'm very pleased...

But I'm already bored with configuring, luckily you don't have to do it ever again - if you keep backups...

I suppose I should trim up the startup scripts and build my own kernel too. I've never done either but I guess it shouldn't be a problem. I'll leave all the useless pieces as modules so I can only load them when I need to, and save power by not loading them unnecessarily.

Has anyone tried removing cron and syslog-ng? I'm trying to _really_ trim things down and they seem to be generally useless. Then again logs are good to have when trying to solve problems. Cron is very much useless but you'd have to manually update the regular databases.

#127 2009-03-03 08:44:16

fwojciec

Cron can be extremely useful, but that depends on how you use it wink  Syslog -- it's your call, but you're not going to be saving a lot of resources by disabling it.

I'd recommend against messing around with startup scripts.  Custom kernel will improve your boot time, but beyond that it doesn't really improve performance.

#128 2009-03-03 21:57:40

initbox

Have you guys noticed a high amount of wakeups if you use xbindkeys?

I get 0,1-0.4 watts more drainage with xbindkeys because of some "do_nanosleep" thing, according to Powertop.

I'd really like to use xbindkeys since it's pretty invaluable. It'd be hard to make keybindings for turning the touchpad on/off and all the special command-keybindings I have without xbindkeys.

Sadface sad

BTW, I'm at 8.4 watts idle atm with every piece of networking off. I still want to boot faster so I'm gonna check about making my own kernel.

Also, is there something weird going on with the backlight and xbacklight? I set my backlight to "user define" instead of "auto" in the BIOS, and I'm not really sure, but I think I was able to use xbacklight -set 10 with more than enough backlight when it was on "auto". Now it seems that -set 10 basically turns the backlight off. It might also be because I'm running on battery now. O_o

Last edited by initbox (2009-03-03 22:01:26)

#129 2009-03-06 10:59:26

Mogger
Website

Brightness controls in powerdevil seems to be work now (KDEmod 4.2.1). Great success!

EDIT: However, my Fn keys for brightness don't work. And running 'solid-powermanagement brightness set 10' doesn't update the slider in the plasmoid either. hmm
Anyone know how to increase/decrease the brightness with solid-powermanagement?

Oh, and I can't change the brightness sitting in System Settings -> Advanced -> Power Management -> Edit Profiles -> Screen either. The slider is disabled.

Last edited by Mogger (2009-03-06 12:00:49)

#130 2009-03-08 18:18:48

IdoMcFly

is there any contrast control possible?

#131 2009-03-14 10:26:47

Mogger
Website

john_schaf wrote:
Mogger wrote:

- Make it easy to toggle bluetooth and wireless on/off

I wrote a small script, which is bound to the Fn+F9 key using xbindkeys (actually Win+F9 until the latest kernel hits core), and it works as I want to switch on/off the wireless (I don't use blutetooth yet, so it stays off). It uses netcfg
Here it is, hope you find it usefull.

Thanks; I didn't see it until now when I browsed though the whole thread again. Today I also found this script which handles some toggling. Since I'm (supposed to) preparing for an exam at the moment, I haven't had the time to try it out yet.

#132 2009-03-14 12:08:41

initbox

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 43#p511943

If you're looking for scripts to toggle stuff, there's mine. You can just do "whateveryounameit add|remove|cmd thing" or "whateveryounameit add|remove|cmd" if you want to manually choose the action, or even just "whateveryounameit" to select some action interactively.

I think it's fairly awesome (I guess I'm biased tongue), but see if you find it useful. I haven't actually tested the WLAN stuff, since I don't have WLAN anywhere to test with. I only use 3G (and I don't even have an NC10 with an internal 3G module, they cost too much sad)

EDIT:

UPDATE: I made a completely graphical script for controlling everything, see here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 13#p516013

Last edited by initbox (2009-03-15 11:14:45)

#133 2009-03-17 18:51:41

adski1234

Hey all,

I've started having some problems with suspend on the NC10.  The problems started a few days ago when I updated my system.

The system suspends fine, but when I resume I get a completely black screen.  I can hear drive activity (parking/unparking of heads) and the fan is running, but the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive and the only way to get out of it is a hard-reboot.

I have been reading through the forums and found this thread http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64198 that makes it appear as if I'm not alone in having this issue.  I tried the steps suggested in that thread (removing the autodetect hook from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf) and using pm-suspend --quirks-dpms-on, but neither seems to help.  I also tried going back to using --quirk-vbestate-restore, but still no luck.

However, I booted into the fallback image (which I believe differs from the main image primarily in being generated without the autodectect hook) and suspend works fine. 

I'm unsure why it works in the fallback image, but not in the main image with the autodetect hook removed.

I thought I would post the issue here to see if any other NC10 owners might have experienced this issue.  Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going wrong?

Thanks!

#134 2009-03-17 18:57:13

john_schaf

initbox wrote:

Have you guys noticed a high amount of wakeups if you use xbindkeys?

I get 0,1-0.4 watts more drainage with xbindkeys because of some "do_nanosleep" thing, according to Powertop.

I'd really like to use xbindkeys since it's pretty invaluable. It'd be hard to make keybindings for turning the touchpad on/off and all the special command-keybindings I have without xbindkeys.

I haven't noticed that before, but it is currently the cas on my machine too !
I really wonder if that is something new, or was already present earlier and I didn't notice ...

Now the main reason for wakeups is xbindkeys (without network), and I think I would have noticed if it was the cas "earlier"...

Anything new ?

#135 2009-03-20 07:57:37

Barghest

Hi adski1234,

the problem with s2r was already mentioned some times ago. Here is what furret answered:

furret wrote:
Barghest wrote:

@suspend2ram: Since one of the latest updates suspend2ram isn't working anymore. The nc10 hangs on resume. Anyone else noticed (and probably solved) this? I already installed the latest bios update.

Yup, see above with the low memory protect DMI quirk. You need a custom kernel to use suspend on the newer revisions of the NC10. Set the kernel config option something along the lines of "reserve low memory on AMI/Phoenix BIOSen" to NO.

I've reported it to the kernel maintainers. Hopefully Ingo will fix it soon, so the custom kernel won't be needed.

Last edited by Barghest (2009-03-20 07:58:34)

#136 2009-03-21 08:20:26

atcq

hi,

i bought a samsung nc10, arch is up and running, but there are still some problems ...

1. the damn touchpad doesn't do what i want it to do (e.g. multitouch scrolling, tapping)! :( ... maybe someone could post his /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi !?
2. my microphone isn't working, but i'm not sure if it is a problem with arch or a hardware problem. using a plugged in, external microphone works, but not a "beep" in skype using the internal microphone!

thanks in advance!

#137 2009-03-21 12:37:29

john_schaf

Same problem here, the microphone does not seem to work with Skype. I've played with alsamixer to be sure it is not muted but it stille does not work.
It's not a skype problem, I have not been able to use the microphone with audacity either

#138 2009-03-21 13:01:23

atcq

john_schaf wrote:

Same problem here, the microphone does not seem to work with Skype. I've played with alsamixer to be sure it is not muted but it stille does not work.
It's not a skype problem, I have not been able to use the microphone with audacity either

it's a global problem, it is listed in alsamixer but recording in any program won't work unless i plug in an external microphone via FrontMic ... maybe it is a hardware problem?
i killed my WinXP installation by installing arch, do you still have a WinXP install? maybe you could test the microphone in WinXP and report back if it is working there?
if not, i think i'll install winXP and try the microphone, to be sure it is hardware related and send it back to amazon.de to get a new one!

any suggestions concerning the touchpad?

Last edited by atcq (2009-03-21 13:02:05)

#139 2009-03-21 13:14:24

john_schaf

Hey good news !
I managed to get my microphone to work !

Run "alsamixer", and press F4 to configure "capture" devices.
Here are the settings that make the microphone work for me :
- digital to 60
- no front mic boost or mic boost
- capture on
- and input device set to *front mic*

Hope this helps !

Edit : more good news here is the relevant section in my xorg.conf for scrolling with the touchpad. Haven't tried multitouch, but in windows it is bad so I did not try very hard.

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "SynapticsTouchpad"
   Driver      "synaptics"
   Option      "AlwaysCore"        "true"  # send events to CorePointer
  #Option      "Device"            "/dev/input/mice"
   Option      "Device"            "/dev/psaux"
   Option      "Protocol"          "auto-dev"
   Option      "SHMConfig"         "false" # configurable at runtime? security risk
   Option      "LeftEdge"          "1700"  # x coord left
   Option      "RightEdge"         "5300"  # x coord right
   Option      "TopEdge"           "1700"  # y coord top
   Option      "BottomEdge"        "4200"  # y coord bottom
   Option      "FingerLow"         "25"    # pressure below this level triggers release
   Option      "FingerHigh"        "30"    # pressure above this level triggers touch
   Option      "MaxTapTime"        "180"   # max time in ms for detecting tap
   Option      "VertEdgeScroll"    "true"  # enable vertical scroll zone
#   Option      "HorizEdgeScroll"   "true"  # enable horizontal scroll zone
   Option      "CornerCoasting"    "true"  # enable continuous scroll with finger in corner
   Option      "CoastingSpeed"     "0.30"  # corner coasting speed
   Option      "VertScrollDelta"   "100"   # edge-to-edge scroll distance of the vertical scroll
#   Option      "HorizScrollDelta"  "100"   # edge-to-edge scroll distance of the horizontal scroll
   Option      "MinSpeed"          "0.10"  # speed factor for low pointer movement
   Option      "MaxSpeed"          "0.60"  # maximum speed factor for fast pointer movement
   Option      "AccelFactor"       "0.0020"    # acceleration factor for normal pointer movements
  #Option      "VertTwoFingerScroll"   "true"    # vertical scroll anywhere with two fingers
  #Option      "HorizTwoFingerScroll"  "true"    # horizontal scroll anywhere with two fingers
   Option      "TapButton1" "1"
   Option      "TapButton2" "2"
   Option      "TapButton3" "3"
EndSection

Last edited by john_schaf (2009-03-21 13:18:07)

#140 2009-03-21 14:00:51

atcq

thanks, thats about everything i needed! smile
concerning the touchpad, i have the same config you posted, but didn't realize i had to restart arch to make some of the options work!

also found a nice battery warning notification script (usefull for Openbox and the like!)
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=391396
maybe someone is looking for something similar!

#141 2009-03-22 03:06:47

kYd

forget it!

Last edited by kYd (2009-03-26 12:40:32)

#142 2009-03-23 13:49:37

summel
Website

Somebody got a clue on how to configure multitouch (esp. 2fingerscrolling) in hal? i tried it (should be really simple) but then scrolling doesnt work at all hmm

#143 2009-03-23 14:08:47

Mogger
Website

summel wrote:

Somebody got a clue on how to configure multitouch (esp. 2fingerscrolling) in hal? i tried it (should be really simple) but then scrolling doesnt work at all hmm

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 50#p502750

Please post if you find anything out.

#144 2009-03-23 20:24:39

scooby

I had two finger scrolling working when I was running gentoo. I was using vanilla-sources 2.6.29-rc7. I didn't back up my hal -synaptics policy, haven't got it to work yet with Arch. But I am trying.

I got a bit bored compiling everything just to see if it would work with the NC10, much quicker to check what works/doesn't work using Archlinux. I might go back to gentoo once I have everything figured out, but then again, I might not. Having nothing but a good experience with Arch, and I get to use my computer instead of watching lines of code on my screen.  I think gentoo booted up a little quicker, but other than that, I can't see much difference.

Powertop says I am using 8.1W at the moment, connected to internet by wireless, using firefox to post this message. Screen brightness is 20%. According to powertop, long term  is about 9.5w. Predicted to be about 6.5 hours on battery. Not too bad.

Only problems I have now are wifi led always on, and scroll lock led (FN + F12) never comes on.

#145 2009-03-25 12:11:33

atcq

scooby wrote:

Powertop says I am using 8.1W at the moment, connected to internet by wireless, using firefox to post this message. Screen brightness is 20%. According to powertop, long term  is about 9.5w. Predicted to be about 6.5 hours on battery. Not too bad.

how comes powetop doesn't show W consume on my samsung nc10? i'm running openbox, is anything missing to enable it in powertop, what other WM/DM bring with them by default?

#146 2009-03-25 12:18:47

Mogger
Website

atcq wrote:

how comes powetop doesn't show W consume on my samsung nc10? i'm running openbox, is anything missing to enable it in powertop, what other WM/DM bring with them by default?

You have to run on battery. Oh, and running powertop as root gives you more information.

#147 2009-04-03 23:44:27

Teshadael

Hey all, just got my NC10 the other day. 
First off, thanks to all the users who've posted info about this thing.
I have a question about powertop.  It tells me

A USB device is active 100.0% of the time:
USB device  3-2 : BCM92045NMD (Broadcom Corp)

Then it states to hit U to enable USB suspend.  I've already enabled USB suspend from the kernel boot line in grub, and hitting U doesn't do much as it just repeats that line.
I can tell this is the bluetooth module, but how do I go about actually suspending it?  I did hciconfig hci0 down then tried rmmod hci_usb but it come back saying that it doesn't exist in /proc/modules.
I don't plan on using bluetooth, any other thoughts on how I can disable it?

#148 2009-04-04 00:02:27

john_schaf

The blutooth module has now another name : btusb
try "rmmod btusb" and you should be fine. wink

#149 2009-04-04 01:37:03

chaospanda

Hi
I am very new in archlinux. I got archlinux to install on my nc10 with kdm3. I want to know how do xbacklight work? when I put xbacklight -get in the terminal it displayed "Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0". No outputs have backlight property.

thank in advance

#150 2009-04-04 13:23:41

Teshadael

@John: Thanks, btusb was it.

@Chaospanda:  Sounds like perhaps you may still be using vesa as video.  Do pacman -S xf86-video-intel, then reconfigure X with the intel driver.  xbacklight should work after that.

Last edited by Teshadael (2009-04-04 13:30:49)

Board footer