You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-10 03:11:27

lambretta

Slow boot after sync

I run Arch on my Thinkpad T41p (ATI video card, 1400x1050 screen), its not a fast new laptop but its not bad.

Since i started using Arch the time to boot was something that impressed me.  It was very quick to the SLiM login manager and I recon perhaps 3 seconds from login manager to XFCE desktop.

I have recently performed a pacman -Syu and the new XFCE came down, since then the time to SLiM has increased a little but the time it now takes to go from SLiM to desktop is around 13 seconds.  Strangely, after login in SLiM there seems to be little action on the HDD till just before I have the Desktop.

Usage and applications all seem to be a snappy as the used to be.

Is it taking longer to boot now due to XFCE update?

Can anyone please suggest what I should be looking for to locate the source of the slow down?

Thank you in advance.

#2 2009-03-10 06:23:05

benob

Re: Slow boot after sync

I have a similar problem since the update: xfce-session seems to wait for a timeout which occurs after about 10s (probably network related). I get a desktop fairly quickly but it takes that time for xfce-power-manager and nm-applet to start (or anything else included in the session). If I try to logout, it says that the session manager cannot be bothered until it's idle.

Might be something else because I use testing (xorg-server 1.6).

#3 2009-03-10 06:29:52

mikesd
Website

I don't use xfce but quite a few people are using bootchart to look at their boot performance. It may give you a clue as to where the slowdown may be.

#4 2009-03-14 18:11:08

benob

benob wrote:

I have a similar problem since the update: xfce-session seems to wait for a timeout which occurs after about 10s (probably network related). I get a desktop fairly quickly but it takes that time for xfce-power-manager and nm-applet to start (or anything else included in the session). If I try to logout, it says that the session manager cannot be bothered until it's idle.

Might be something else because I use testing (xorg-server 1.6).

I solved my problem by deleting ~/.cache/sessions
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64572

Board footer