You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-03 16:01:38

merc

Install of AL .7beta2 iso -- slocate broken

Did a fresh install of AL using the base .7beta2 cd, and everything is working, except slocate. If I try to run "updatedb" as root, it says "slocate not found in /etc/group" (not at my computer, so I can't give an exact error. But basically, the file which tells you what groups are defined in a computer (either /etc/group or /etc/groups) doesn't have a mention of slocate, so it wont run. Is this an issue with the beta, or did I screw up? I tried uninstalling slocate and reinstalling it, and it didn't fix it.

Also, when I used to use the 0.6 cd to install AL, the kernel had no modules loaded by default. I'd have to add snd-emu10k1, snd-pcm-oss, ohci-hcd, etc by hand into the rc.conf file. But with 0.7, if I do 'lsmod' after boot, it shows a ton of modules already inserted. Is this new hardware detection in .7 ?

#2 2004-11-03 16:04:31

xerxes2
Website

Re: Install of AL .7beta2 iso -- slocate broken

maybe the devs included hotplug in 0.7iso,
this sounds like hotplug to me,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-11-03 16:09:00

merc

Now that you mention it, yes, I did see "hotplug" being loaded during bootup. Just wansn't sure what it did, so I ignored it. But I guess now my soundcard is already installed for me, and I can just start using xmms? Or do I still need to follow parts of the wiki such as putting the the alsa daemon in /rc.d and such?

#4 2004-11-03 16:34:39

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

merc wrote:

Now that you mention it, yes, I did see "hotplug" being loaded during bootup. Just wansn't sure what it did, so I ignored it. But I guess now my soundcard is already installed for me, and I can just start using xmms? Or do I still need to follow parts of the wiki such as putting the the alsa daemon in /rc.d and such?

you still need to follow the wiki - at least to verify (simply open the rc.conf file and you can determin if you need to add the module or not).

about updatedb - you could just as easilly use find...

find <dir> -name <filename>

for instance:

find / -name *.so

to find all shared objects....

#5 2004-11-03 19:00:26

The Katta

Yes i did a fresh install too and slocate wasn't in /etc/groups
I added it with groupadd and it asked my password and my new password (???)
I don't want to change my pass!
btw using the same password 3 times finally it added the group.

#6 2004-11-03 20:20:17

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Thanks for pointing that out.  It was shadow's fault.... upgrade to the latest shadow package and run 'groupadd -g 21 slocate' and you'll be good to go.

This will be fixed in 0.7-final.

Board footer