You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-15 04:07:58

pharcyde

GTK themes not working in root.

When I open anything in root it uses the default theme. I've tried sym linking to no avail. I get an error when I 'sudo pcmanfm' saying...

GTK+ icon theme is not properly set

This usually means you don't have an XSETTINGS manager running.  Desktop environment like GNOME or XFCE automatically execute their XSETTING managers like gnome-settings-daemon or xfce-mcs-manager.

If you don't use these desktop environments, you have two choices:
1. run an XSETTINGS manager, or
2. simply specify an icon theme in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.
For example to use the Tango icon theme add a line:
gtk-icon-theme-name="Tango" in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0. (create it if no such file)

NOTICE: The icon theme you choose should be compatible with GNOME, or the file icons cannot be displayed correctly.  Due to the differences in icon naming of GNOME and KDE, KDE themes cannot be used.  Currently there is no standard for this, but it will be solved by freedesktop.org in the future.

But I have the themes specified in ~/.gtkrc-2.0. But neither the gtk theme or the icons show and that warning screen pops up everytime I open pcmanfm -- really quite annoying. Anything not run as root works great. All my themes are in /etc/share/icons - themes. Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited by pharcyde (2009-03-15 04:09:42)

#2 2009-03-15 04:12:10

djnm

Re: GTK themes not working in root.

do you have a .gtkrc in /root ?

br0tat0chip in #archlinux and on freenode

#3 2009-03-15 04:20:25

pharcyde

Re: GTK themes not working in root.

Just tried that didn't work.

EDIT - I forgot to make .themes and .icons in root then sym link it roll it works now. Thanks.

Last edited by pharcyde (2009-03-15 05:32:33)

Board footer