You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-18 09:28:27

essence-of-foo

Python versus other programming languages

Hi everyone,

Well, there's something that's bugging me. I know several programming languages and among them is Python. Whenever I'd like to write a programm I decide which programming language would be the right tool for this task. I somehow enjoyed it to have a great set of programming-languages to choose from but I keep choosing Python again and again because it always seems to offer the most suited tricks for the task.
Sometimes I choose C over Python because I'd like to do some pointer-magic or because speed is really a concern, but there isn't much of a chance to pick another language for my programs. Even good old Haskell is not that useful anymore since Python knows list-comprehension and all the other cool lists-functions as well. The only feature Python doesn't seem to support is lazy evaluation.

I'm currently learning common Lisp because some people consider it to be their favorite programming language. But I haven't understood why yet. I suppose It will take some time to finally get it. Therefore I would be very interested in a comparison between Lisp and Python if anyone here knows both.

So, does anyone here feel the same? Or does anyone know some weak points of Python?

Last edited by essence-of-foo (2009-03-18 09:29:53)

#2 2009-03-18 16:50:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Python versus other programming languages

Hey essence-of-foo,

This topic has been covered endlessly here. Python, C, Perl, Ruby, C++, Java, Lisp... everything from comparison to performance to preference. Just search around a bit and you'll find some really insightful threads.

Board footer