You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-05 18:13:47

cu3edweb

Gnome + Compiz Fusion w/o compiz fusion icon [SOLVED]

I have a few things that I am trying to accomplish. I want to run compiz fusion in gnome without the compiz fusion icon and I also do not want to use emerald. I want to use compiz fusion with metacity.

So to the questions and/or problems I am having:

1. I followed the wiki for compiz fusion and autostarting without the icon from the wiki here, and gnome loads but when I open windows there is no window borders and no way to move windows. So I followed the compiz fusion troubleshooting here, but that did not solve the problem. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

2. I have no idea how to get compiz fusion without emerald and to use metacity. I did it once before, but I don't know how I did it.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has already been posted. I didn't see it when I searched.

ps. I should also note that if I start compiz fusion with the icon (fusion-icon) compiz works fine.

Last edited by cu3edweb (2009-03-18 22:51:34)

#2 2009-02-05 20:27:46

defrysk
Website

Re: Gnome + Compiz Fusion w/o compiz fusion icon [SOLVED]

#3 2009-02-06 00:45:01

cu3edweb

I didn't see any compiz keys in my gconf dir but I guess I can try removing the whole thing and see if that works. I ran the command that it shows but I got a error saying no schema found or something along those lines. I will try again when I get home and post the exact error message.

#4 2009-02-06 12:37:11

Execute_Method

gtk-window-decorator --replace &

You can always just add it to your startup script, or make a new script and add it to the startup applications

here's the one I used to use:

#!/bin/bash
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace --sm-disable ccp &
emerald --replace &
sleep 1 &
conky

just replace the "emerald" with "gtk-window-decorator"

#5 2009-02-06 17:09:14

cu3edweb

Seeing as I am an idiot from time to time. I figured out that I did not have the gnome compiz decorator installed so that is why I couldn't switch from emerald. So I answered my second question. I just can't seem to get compiz to start without the icon. It works fine with the icon so I guess I can live with that. I will maked solved but if someone has any ideas why I can't get it to start without the icon that would be great. I have already tried the suggestions from eariler but still no luck.

Not sure if it matters but I have a intel GMA 965 (x3100) graphics card.

#6 2009-03-18 19:59:40

Liquen

cu3edweb wrote:

2. I have no idea how to get compiz fusion without emerald and to use metacity. I did it once before, but I don't know how I did it.

I had the same problem until I solved it by following this steps:

1) Edit /usr/share/applications/compiz.desktop and change the line Exec=compiz to Exec=compiz ccp --indirect-rendering

2) Change gconf key /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager to compiz

Logout and relogin. Does it work for you?

#7 2009-03-18 22:20:01

cu3edweb

Liquen wrote:
cu3edweb wrote:

1) Edit /usr/share/applications/compiz.desktop and change the line Exec=compiz to Exec=compiz ccp --indirect-rendering

2) Change gconf key /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager to compiz

I appreciate the answer. When I install gnome again I will use this. I switched to kdemod4 for fun since I have not used kde in years.

#8 2009-03-18 22:37:10

zhuqin

Liquen wrote:
cu3edweb wrote:

This definitely works! Thanks so much!

Board footer