You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-13 22:55:16

dswann

Odd Steam problem, not all games are listed (wine)

Pretty new to archlinux and wine but regardless

x86_64 arch, KDE4Mod 4.2.1 with qt4.5.0.3, latest wine-bin32-suse from AUR with all of proper bin32 libs isntalled. I have no problems with Steam at all, Half Life 2 will properly run without any issues. My problem is that, not every game that I have on my windows install or that I have bought is showing up currently in My Games tab (not showing not installed, nothing)

Specfically, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2: which I found a user was sharing my same issue at the WineHQ Application database:

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=1554

But sadly there was no reply to his issue so I am at a lost on how to fix this. This is really a deal breaker between keeping arch and windows sad

Furthermore, if I create a symlink between my wine steam folder and my mounted Windows ntfs steam folder, the list of my games become a bit more populated but Left 4 Dead reamains missing and Team Fortress 2 has a status of pre-loaded and acts like I like I needed to purchase the game so that isn't going to work either hmm

Help?

Last edited by dswann (2009-03-13 22:55:44)

#2 2009-03-14 01:54:27

dswann

Re: Odd Steam problem, not all games are listed (wine)

The Linux Wine Steam:

steamlinux.jpg

Steam under Windows Vista:

steamwin.jpg

hmm

#3 2009-03-17 02:54:49

dswann

Okay I guess I can confirm this is not a Wine Issue but a general issue with my arch linux installation. A fresh installation of steam on both of my other  machines running Windows Vista result in Left 4 Dead and TF2 appearing fine.

However, I have a Windows XP virtual machine. I booted this inside my arch install with virtual box and installed a fresh copy of steam and behold Left 4 Dead and TF2 are missing

Where should I start to resolve this?

At first I thought it may be a firewall issue on my router configuration but I did not change any settings to allow either of the Windows Vista installations and they worked fine out of the box

Last edited by dswann (2009-03-17 02:55:18)

#4 2009-03-17 03:24:59

carlocci

Maybe you can only play those games with Vista?

#5 2009-03-17 22:17:59

dswann

carlocci wrote:

Maybe you can only play those games with Vista?

No, I know of at least one person that runs both Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 under Windows XP just fine.

Furthermore, booting the same Virtual Machine of Windows XP with Virtualbox inside my Windows Vista install results in Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 properly showing up in steam

The same virtual machine of Windows XP and Virtualbox under the arch install results in those games not showing up in steam

Help?

#6 2009-03-18 22:41:25

krychle

(i read all your posts after writing my reply, and I think i didn't fully understand you, anyway something can help you and I'm lazy to rewrite it smile and sorry for baaad english)

Steam just keeping your licenses for games not games physicaly. you need to have them installed on computer where you want to play them (this is the biggest advantage of steam). The screenshot on wine just saying you that you have rights to some games but you don't have them installed. To play them you need to install them. Also if you have steam on one computer you should have steam for each system or virtual mashine. I think it is not save to run exact steam installation (shared across systems) from linux, windows, or from some virtual mashine (I hope you undestand).

the steam is saying that you have installed two games on windows but no game on linux. all your installed games are stored in .../steam/steamapps directory. you can install the games from net or you can just copy the whole steamapps dir to linux from windows (and vice versa). or you can be brave and link the steamapps dir from linux to dir on windows partition smile, don't know how to do it, maybe some more skilled linux user will help you with this.

For example I have a problem on windows that my win system partition is too small to strore everything so I used some howto on net to link steamapp from other NTFS disk/partition to installation of steam in program files (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps dir) so i can have only one stroge for games datas but multiple steam instalations (linux, virtualbox, windows, ..., I think it can be also shared over the network; maybe).

I have enought space on both win and lin partitions so I've just coppied the files... When you are done you need run game update manualy, if it is fully updated than it will automaticaly change the status to installed or whatever, you should be able to launch the game after that. I didn't tryied update or download the whole game in wine so I can't tell if there is a problem.

I'm running x86_64 version of arch too, but i can't launch CS1.6 yet, i have some problems with arch installation itself (again smile, but i will try it later again...

#7 2009-03-19 03:11:49

dswann

I can't install them if they are not listed in the "Not installed" list

This was the default behavior on both Windows Vista machines, Left 4 Dead and TF2 was listed as not installed after a clean install of steam. I had no problems installing them from within steam from that point.  You can't update a game within steam if isn't installed and TF2 acts like I have not even bought it.

Again, I have copied the files from within my windows steampps folder to my wine steamapps folder but it doesn't resolve the issue

Last edited by dswann (2009-03-19 03:13:20)

Board footer