You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-19 18:03:58

Revelation60
Website

Installing packages from AUR

Hi,

I'm a long time Ubuntu user and switched to Arch Linux to give it a try.
But now I am really having trouble installing sabnzbd. I found a PKGBUILD in the AUR and I thought I could just install it. Turns out that not all the depencies are met and that they are not in the pacman database. Is the Arch Linux database so small? Ubuntu had all the dependencies in a repository.

Anyway, I am hoping that you'll tell me there is a much easier way than to try and install all the depencies one at a time (which will take me at least half an hour). Also, is it normal that packages like python-yenc can't be installed by sudo python install.sh install?

I am sorry if I sound frustrated, I'm a little annoyed by tiny things like no tab completion in pacman and having to compile everything instead of installing a package.

Last edited by Revelation60 (2009-03-19 18:04:14)

#2 2009-03-19 18:10:30

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Installing packages from AUR

the "missing" dependency are in also in AUR. if you don't want to build and install each package try yaourt. yaourt is a wrapper to pacman and you can install aur builds very easy. yaourt -S sabnzbd

also read:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Yaourt

Last edited by wonder (2009-03-19 18:11:51)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2009-03-19 18:27:29

rson451
Website

For tab completion with pacman you'll need bash-completion (I believe), or use zsh as your shell.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#4 2009-03-19 18:39:30

Revelation60
Website

Thank you! I managed to install sabnzbd with yaourt, although it complained a lot about how unsafe the packages were.
Sadly bash-completion does not work for me (kde konsole) sad

#5 2009-03-19 18:50:39

mcmillan

Probably better to post questions about bash-completion in a seperate thread, but I can say I have it working in konsole here.

#6 2009-03-19 19:00:03

brisbin33
Website

as far as i know, bash-completion nor zsh will complete packages names, i.e.

> pacman -S gno<tab>

which is what i think he meant.

#7 2009-03-19 19:12:58

tomk
Forum Fellow

Slightly off-topic, Revelation60, but did you read much about Arch before deciding to give it a try? I'm asking because your first post here suggests that you're not familiar with the way Arch does things, and that you may be expecting Arch to be similar to Ubuntu.

The wiki has quite a few pages that are worth reading - have a look at the "About Arch" section on the front page. A browse through Arch News on www.archlinux.org and the stickies here in Newbie Corner would also be recommended.

#8 2009-03-19 19:30:10

rson451
Website

brisbin33 wrote:

> pacman -S gno<tab>

With zsh, I can pacman -S nvi<tab> and end up with pacman -S nvidia.  AFAIK bash-completion does the same.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#9 2009-03-19 19:34:55

brisbin33
Website

rson451 wrote:
brisbin33 wrote:

> pacman -S gno<tab>

With zsh, I can pacman -S nvi<tab> and end up with pacman -S nvidia.  AFAIK bash-completion does the same.

wow, /me goes to get that working this weekend

#10 2009-03-19 19:37:00

Revelation60
Website

Slightly off-topic, Revelation60, but did you read much about Arch before deciding to give it a try? I'm asking because your first post here suggests that you're not familiar with the way Arch does things, and that you may be expecting Arch to be similar to Ubuntu.

Well, I mostly picked Arch because I liked the openness and the clarity of configuration files. I did expect things like installing software to be just as easy as in Ubuntu. I also noticed that Arch is not totally bleeding edge: my ubuntu jaunty had a more recent version of kde than my arch one.

#11 2009-03-19 19:42:23

wonder
Developer
Website

Revelation60 wrote:

Well, I mostly picked Arch because I liked the openness and the clarity of configuration files. I did expect things like installing software to be just as easy as in Ubuntu. I also noticed that Arch is not totally bleeding edge: my ubuntu jaunty had a more recent version of kde than my arch one.

don't make statement before reading about archlinux.
archlinux will provide the newer STABLE version.in extra now we have kde 4.2.1 _maybe_ jaunty has some beta version.  but in don't think. i see that jaunty has the same version.
in fond nobody makes you to use archlinux. just use jaunty and don't be a troll.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#12 2009-03-19 19:56:32

quarkup
Website

bash completion -> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bas … Completion
zsh completion -> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Zsh … Completion

You can do a "ls /etc/bash_completion.d/" and see if there is a file named "pacman".

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#13 2009-03-19 20:14:43

jacko

brisbin33 wrote:

> pacman -S gno<tab>

As the guy above me said, /etc/bash_completion.d/ contains programmable completion scripts. This is what makes bash somewhat powerful. I have default pacman, git, few others... You can also make your own. Just remember to remove any complete commands you have in bashrc and profile. As these will overwrite bash_complete. Also take note that bash completion is not the same as <tab> completion, which is bash's default behavior.

The to the thread author. If your really having that many gripes about arch then by all means head back to ubuntu. Arch is not for everyone and the arch community will certainly not hold your hand. There is an extensive wiki and a great irc channel. It's up to you to work for you desktop.

If there is anything that arch will teach you it's that keeping a linux desktop distribution running with latest software takes a lot of effort and it does aboslutely nothing to complain about it. Instead it does more to fix the problem yourself and be part of the solution.

BTW: most issues you are having is because you have yet to install the required packages for the functionality you prefer. That is not an arch issue, it's the end users fault.

Last edited by jacko (2009-03-19 20:21:05)

#14 2009-03-19 20:31:30

tomk
Forum Fellow

wonder, jacko - ease up please. Revelation60 is new here, and needs some time to acquaint himself with the Arch approach. It may or may not suit him, but that's up to him.

#15 2009-03-19 23:32:39

brisbin33
Website

jacko wrote:

As the guy above me said, /etc/bash_completion.d/ contains programmable completion scripts. This is what makes bash somewhat powerful. I have default pacman, git, few others... You can also make your own. Just remember to remove any complete commands you have in bashrc and profile. As these will overwrite bash_complete. Also take note that bash completion is not the same as <tab> completion, which is bash's default behavior.

thanks for explanation, i just figured since a) it didn't do it by default and b) `pacman -Ss gno` would take a fairly long time, so pacman -S gno<tab> would essentially require the same wait period and render the feature useless in my opinion.  but as we've just seen, i'm probably incorrect in anything i'm thinking on the subject so instead...

can i have your pacman bash completion script?

Board footer