You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-20 11:37:51

szal

faad2 not symlinking correctly?

Bon appetit folks,

I just installed mpd 0.14.2 and (as dependency) faad2 2.7 from testing. After this upgrade (from mpd 0.14.1/faad2 2.6) I at first wasn't able to restart mpd. No idea why it didn't want to stop, but after killing the process a manual "mpd" in the terminal issued the following:

mpd: error while loading shared libraries: libfaad.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Granted, easy to fix: I symlinked /usr/lib/libfaad.so.2.0.0 to /usr/lib/libfaad.so.1 and mpd started up fine. But shouldn't the package install process provide for this symlink?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. As for the mpd stop problem, if anyone knows about this and it is not related to faad2, please start a new topic.

Greetings

szal

"make install, not war" (Benjamin Van der Jagt in the comment area of DistroWatch Weekly)

#2 2009-03-20 12:21:53

ataraxia

Re: faad2 not symlinking correctly?

mpd (and many other things) will need to be rebuilt against the new faad2. One of the hassles of using testing is that you have to do that yourself. Symlinking libraries is a bad idea - the number changed for a reason (the new faad2 is incompatible somehow with the old one).

#3 2009-03-20 12:46:01

szal

ataraxia wrote:

mpd (and many other things) will need to be rebuilt against the new faad2.

Which would then, ultimately, be the pkg maintainer's responsibility before moving such pkgs to extra/community, I guess. But as I use only a handful of pkgs from testing -- currently only these 2 -- I should be fine for the time being, and a reinstall should fix any issues arising once mpd and faad2 are moved to the stable repos.

Greetings

szal

"make install, not war" (Benjamin Van der Jagt in the comment area of DistroWatch Weekly)

#4 2009-03-20 20:23:57

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

You also need to install the ffmpeg from testing and possibly other testing packages rebuilt against the  faad2 and x264 in testing. Pick and choosing packages from testing like you did is not supported.

And you  should never symlink libraries like that. You risk breaking your system.

#5 2009-04-09 06:03:50

Archwyrm
Website

Snowman wrote:

And you  should never symlink libraries like that. You risk breaking your system.

Depends on the library. If you don't care about AAC (and I don't), this is perfectly safe. Not a permanent solution, but a lot faster than recompiling the package. Something which I believe you fine folks will soon be doing. smile

This problem has now hit extra. I have created a bug report.

DungeonHack -- an Open Source, free form RPG inspired by TES: Daggerfall

Board footer