You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-05 19:25:05

Lugash

Bootloader install with root on software raid-array problem

I've just finished installing Arch 0.7b1 onto an md RAID-array (Linux Software RAID).
The problem I'm having is the bootloader: since I'm using uDev, my / is located on /dev/md/0, both LILO and Grub are complaining. I can't recall the exact error, but LILO is saying something about DevFS not being in the kernel but that it's implied because of uDev. :?
I'm at work now, I'll be home in an hour (and a half), I'll post the complete error then.

If I chroot to my freshly installed / and try to run LILO or Grub from there, I get errors concerning /dev/... not existing.

The md-RAID containing the root-partition is a JBOD set up (linear), my /boot is located on a non-RAID IDE-partition on a different disk. I've used a similar setup for over a year using Gentoo, so it should work. I'm just stuck on the bootloader: I don't know how to point to the needed devices (boot-, root-dev).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! smile

#2 2004-11-05 21:10:22

Lugash

Re: Bootloader install with root on software raid-array problem

OK, I fixed the bootloader issue: I forgot to do

mount -t devfs none /mnt/dest/dev
mount -t proc none /mnt/dest/proc

before chrooting to my new root-directory.

However, now I'm stuck with a kernel panic after booting: Linux can't mount the root-device. This is probably due to the missing "linear md RAID" support in Arch's kernel.

Any thoughts on how to install a kernel with linear support built in?

#3 2004-11-06 08:58:38

Lugash

Re: Bootloader install with root on software raid-array problem

Seems like the kernel already has it compiled in.

I gave up my JBOD-setup: I just mounted one of the two drives as /usr and now my system boots! smile

Board footer