You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-23 16:20:06

whoops

[SOLVED]Set "omnipresent folders" where?

Hello!

I somehow messed up root being able to find "stuff that's mostly in /usr/sbin or bin or something" (like lspci or iptables) no matter where it is.

The commands I usually describe as "bash shell stuff" (cp, grep, ls, mkdir... pacman works too, although I would have guessed that belongs to the other category) still works, but to call "optional stuff" I have to use the full address.

It still works for other users:
"user$ iptables bla bla" = "something something need to be root"
"root$ iptables bla bla" = "bash: iptables: command not found"

(Might have something to do with the configuration file (i can't find any more) where I messed up the boot font so everything that has already been written changes into weird hieroglyphs  when the font is changing in the middle of booting - only root uses this font now, which works fine after boot)

Sorry, I don't know how that's all called, so it's hard to search for a "manual".

Thanks!

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-23 17:02:59)

#2 2009-03-23 16:47:04

pointone
Wiki Admin

Re: [SOLVED]Set "omnipresent folders" where?

Sounds like your PATH is fscked up. Check /etc/profile.

Compare the output of "echo $PATH" when running as root and user.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#3 2009-03-23 17:02:37

whoops

Re: [SOLVED]Set "omnipresent folders" where?

Got it, that was it - thanks!

edit: in case someone somehow ends up looking for info in this thread, I should maybe mention, that my root ignores everything I wrote inside /etc/profile - but thanks to the info "echo $PATH" gave me, I found the working settings in /root/.bashrc and .bash_profile (I told .bash_profile to get the settings from .bashrc, like it was already done for users but not for root).

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-24 15:05:08)

Board footer