You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-23 03:04:01

MTsoul
Website

Command-line calendar?

Now that I've switched to Mutt from Thunderbird, I need a calendar replacement. It'd be like a to-do list with dates. I'd like it to be as simple as possible - command line to view and insert entries. It'd be nice if it stored entries in an easy to parse one-entry-per-file format so I can set my Awesome to grep for events and display it on my status bar automatically big_smile

I could just use "echo blah > file" but it's missing that date/time/location functionality.

Thanks.

#2 2009-03-23 03:20:24

fflarex

Re: Command-line calendar?

You could try using 'remind' but it may be a little more complicated than what you're looking for. It's the only adequate command line calendar I've found. Actually, it's way more than just adequate... it's the most powerful and most flexible calendar program out there.

However, it is not exactly easy to set up. It basically has its own scripting language that you use to configure it and populate the calendar.

#3 2009-03-23 03:23:57

skottish
Forum Fellow

There's also pal. I've never used it but it looks to be right in the middle between cal and remind.

#4 2009-03-23 07:01:06

u_no_hu

calcurse is also a good one.

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#5 2009-03-23 09:41:19

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

fflarex wrote:

However, it is not exactly easy to set up. It basically has its own scripting language that you use to configure it and populate the calendar.

Say what? You just put strings like "REM Feb 07 2009 MSG fosdem%" in your ~/.reminders file. that's all. How is that complicated?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#6 2009-03-23 11:14:08

chrispoole

If you already use it, Emacs has a nice calendar. It also works nicely with Mutt.

#7 2009-03-23 14:06:35

fflarex

Dieter@be wrote:

Say what? You just put strings like "REM Feb 07 2009 MSG fosdem%" in your ~/.reminders file. that's all. How is that complicated?

Okay, but most people will need to create reminders that are a little more complicated than that. I guess MTsoul might not for his purposes, but using it as a general purpose calendar is a little harder. Most people will need repeating reminders, and there are some tricky issues when it comes to formatting the output.

For instance, I use remind generate a printed calendar. Certain reminders should not clutter up the printed calendar, like my daily class schedule. However, I do want cancelled classes to show up in the printed calendar. It is exactly the opposite for viewing the command line calendar, where I want to see my daily schedule, and where cancelled classes are indicated simply by their absence.

I also use it in conjunction with gxmessage for pop up notifications. In many cases, a reminder will need to be formatted 3 different ways depending on how remind is being run (e.g. "Dentist appointment in 15 minutes" for the pop ups, "12:20-1:10 Dentist appointment" for the printed calendar, and "Dentist appointment at 12:20" for the command line").

I also didn't want all of this to just be stuck in one giant ~/.reminders file that just gets bigger and bigger over time, so I have a system for organizing different types of reminders in different files and archiving old reminders periodically.

Implementing this and more in a clean way was very difficult for me.

#8 2009-03-23 14:36:40

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

I've heard of a tool called "when", might be worth a look

#9 2009-03-23 16:25:13

CheesyBeef

skottish wrote:

There's also pal. I've never used it but it looks to be right in the middle between cal and remind.

Thanks for the recommendation!  I remembered what you said from reading your post yesterday, and when I needed a calendar this morning with none nearby, I install pal & boom! I was able to see the date I wanted smile

#10 2009-03-24 06:23:56

MTsoul
Website

Daenyth wrote:

Oh man this tool is so dead simple and so exactly what I wanted. Thanks big_smile I'll be sure to come back and review the other options when my needs run out of its scope.

#11 2009-03-24 06:28:06

CheesyBeef

MTsoul wrote:
Daenyth wrote:

Oh man this tool is so dead simple and so exactly what I wanted. Thanks big_smile I'll be sure to come back and review the other options when my needs run out of its scope.

Actually, I agree.  That is exactly what I wanted also.  Soo simple and easy to remember. smile

Board footer