You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 05:34:58

yvonney

[SOLVED] Gvim WITHOUT Ruby? Force install JUST Gvim or Edit pkgbuild?

UPDATE: now using the ruby dependencies version of gvim happily. ruby is small and is used in other packages.

- EARLIER TEXT BELOW ----------

Hi.. love vim - newbie status.... don't want Ruby right now if I can help it.
I have installed vim-stripped from AUR.... nice ...

NOW can I force install JUST the gvim package or will it need to install WITH the ruby dependency? um, yep i'd guess, for sure.

IF I DO need to edit the pkgbuild AND keep pacman advised i'd need to recall my stumbling through my couple of ABS experiences to date.

Tips needed/appreciated. Details on howto, mostly. gottchas? ABS usage tidyness comments?

great~!

Last edited by yvonney (2009-04-16 22:44:48)

#2 2009-03-24 05:39:12

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Gvim WITHOUT Ruby? Force install JUST Gvim or Edit pkgbuild?

Remove the --enable-rubyinterp line from the vim PKGBUILD, as well as 'ruby' from the depends line, and rebuild. Or, you can just wait for the next Arch vim build which I believe will have the ruby dependency removed.

#3 2009-03-24 06:13:24

yvonney

Nice and very help skottish... as usual!

So, I can't recall if I wrote you back though have wonder IF i did several times. Re: your help with the text editor quest I was, and have been on.... DUMPED jedit... now a vim/gvim fan...even while i'm having to enjoy the struggle. Definitely very very cool to me, yet data loss potential thru newness of it for me is why I mention struggle.

Wonder when the next gvim release is? Or, perhaps much better actually... to get my ABS ability refreshed/improved.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-24 09:19:41)

#4 2009-03-24 06:36:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

FYI, just forcing gvim to install without ruby does not work (results in missing library errors).

#5 2009-03-24 06:56:32

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Have the official (g)vi(m) PKGBUILDs been updated recently? I rebuilt all three a few weeks ago without ruby when I realized that they were the only pkgs requiring it, but I had to hack-n-slash through the PKGBUILD etc to get the patches working (108) for it to build.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2009-03-24 07:00:27

Allan
Pacman
Website

Updating the vi/vim/gvim to a new structure (nvi = vi in core,  vim and gvim in extra) is underway.  Not sure the time schedule.

#7 2009-03-24 09:06:33

yvonney

right! Thanks Allan, I wouldn't have known anything about that some while back. happy about all I've learned. And your confirmation sets that one clearly in my mind!

Anyways, I've been vim-ing most of the evening and don't really think I'm going to use gvim if I can stay with vim. I've really fallen for all the term/ncurses stuff, all running in screen: canto, mutt, vim, irssi, htop, remind/wyrd, and everything else I can try...   very wonderful world it is.

Please pardon my lack,  though I thought vi was already in core... will have to look-up nvi.

And, I found it interested that I decided to uninstall vi before installing vim-stripped. A decision I based on the pkg's readme type text.

best wishes

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-24 09:13:41)

#8 2009-03-24 17:59:13

yvonney

[Text file open / associate with running instance of vim running inside screen?]

I've noticed, and I 'think' it may be accurate that there's no way generally to file associate txt files and the like WITH vim running in screen.  If there IS a way to clikc on a text file and have it open up in an instance of vim already running in gnu screen I'd be shocked....

So: I'm thinking that I really would wish to use Gvim.
IS there any way to have a text file open in a running instance of VIM?

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-24 18:00:45)

#9 2009-03-24 18:50:20

HashBox

Viewing the output of vim --help I see this:
--remote <files>    Edit <files> in a Vim server if possible

So it appears it's possible although I'm not sure if you need to start vim in a slightly different way for it to work or not.

#10 2009-03-24 19:01:19

yvonney

UPDATE COMMENT: moving vim out of screen for the time being. Getting crowded in there and seems perhaps better to have vim in it's own urxvt instance for now.

[moving to manual - associations sorta pointless for vim-ness?]

Thank HashBox ... I will try to find the brain cells to look into that though I'm thinking....
CAN there really be a stock way for a txt file to be associated with a running vim within screen.

And actually I'm getting so into the keyboard vibe it seems like it's a GUI hangover sorta for me to even want to...

Opening the file I want, using mc, whatever seems right..... the file association click and it opens thing I am now all of a sudden feeling is a desktop enviroment vibe... and not what willl get me more um, vim-ish!
?

Of course, this post got me to this thought at this point, which is great... thanks all! again!

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-24 19:17:28)

Board footer