You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-27 18:13:40

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

"You are not allowed to launch /usr/bin/pacman with sudo"

i just got this message while issuing Pacman -Syu

You are not allowed to launch /usr/bin/pacman with sudo. Please enter root password:

which seems pretty strange.. i logged out and in again, after which sudo went ok.

since it's a dubious error though, should i be concerned?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#2 2009-03-03 08:10:59

uorbe001

Re: "You are not allowed to launch /usr/bin/pacman with sudo"

Is your user in the group wheel? Check the /etc/sudoers file and see if you have permissions to use it.

#3 2009-03-03 09:32:23

gjoellee

CHECK THE POST ABOVE FIRST! And then try to use sudo. If that does not work, try set up sudo, if it still does not work try what's below:

depending on which file browser you use, you can start them as root from terminal:

sudo -i

or

su

, if you have some GNOME packages installed (as GDM) you will have "gksu" which you should use instead of "su", because it may harm the security of you system. If you use gksu, you can launch it like this:

gksu <what you want to launch>

and you will launch it as root, without lowering the security of your system.

If you use PCManFM you can just do this in PCMacnFM. In the menu: Tools->Open Current folder as root. And a new window will open, in the new window you are root.

Then when you have launched the file browser as root, navigate to /usr/bin/ and find the /pacman folder. Right click on it and click on "Properties" or whatever it is called in the file browser you are using. Now move to the "Permissions" and set the permissions as you want them to be.

Last edited by gjoellee (2009-03-03 09:33:36)

Entertain yourself in a stupid way: www.stupidreality.org

#4 2009-03-03 13:05:47

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

well like i said, "i logged out and in again, after which sudo went ok". i always use pacman with sudo, i was just surprised to find it explicitly asking for a root password this time, which 'might' indicate a more serious (ie. hack) problem. not very likely, but it seemed only reasonable to ask here anyway.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2009-03-24 20:11:16

danthux
Website

i have the same problem when i'm doing sudo pacman, but the root password doesn't work either. anyway, just stoping the operation (ctrl+c) and doing sudo pacman again seems to work

Last edited by danthux (2009-03-24 20:12:00)

Business model FTW: Free2Play GNU/Affero GPL MMORPG Ryzom (more info)

Board footer