You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 22:21:25

KimTjik

[SOLVED] Yeganesh - how to make it execute applications?

I read about Yeganesh in the Wiki. Unfortunately there's not much written about it and I've probably read all a google search can give, but I still can't get it to work.

I want to use dmenu + yeganesh in Awesome so the keybinding matter is a piece of cake. What I've done:

- installed the whole kit dmenu + different haskell packages + yeganesh
- first I tried plain dmenu and it works perfectly well
- I ran "dmenu_path | yeganesh" which worked well
- the above created the directory .yeganesh and first run created the file default within it (so far all good)

Here starts the trouble, because according to the on-page yeganesh home-page it's enough to run "echo | yeganesh" the second time. Frankly I don't understand how this works and it does only produce yeganesh database of previous commands. Since I didn't get this I added the following line to my rc.lua for awesome:

dmenu="dmenu= "dmenu_path | yeganesh -- -b -fn '-*-terminus-*-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*' -nb '#000000' -nf '#FFFFFF' -sb '#0066ff'"

which is run by standard procedure:

table.insert(globalkeys, key({ modkey }, "d", function () awful.util.spawn(dmenu) end))

This executes dmenu + yeganesh without issues, and the database gets updated and yeganesh shows previously "[not] executed command" but IT DOESN'T EXECUTE CHOSEN COMMANDS.

I would appreciate help with this, since this combination is far better than dmenu by itself.

EDIT: I leave my above "mistake" in case someone looks for answers since there so little to find about yeganesh. I did forget a $ and brackets. The correct line should have been:

dmenu= "$(dmenu_path | yeganesh -- -b -fn '-*-terminus-*-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*' -nb '#000000' -nf '#FFFFFF' -sb '#0066ff')"

Last edited by KimTjik (2009-03-24 22:27:07)

Board footer