You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-25 01:25:02

patrickaupperle

<Solved>My left and right arrow keys are not working

I just installed gnome (been using kdemod) and now, while in gnome, my left and right arrow keys are not working. Please help me solve this. I am not using compiz.

Last edited by patrickaupperle (2009-03-25 11:19:04)

#2 2009-03-25 02:08:00

patrickaupperle

Re: <Solved>My left and right arrow keys are not working

I tried switching to gdm. When using gdm, all my multimedia keys stop working and the left/right keys both mute/unmute my audio.

#3 2009-03-25 03:57:24

FrozenFox
Website

Apologies for being a little vague as I don't currently use gnome or have a means of checking it. However, I think I know how to fix this. In the gnome settings/preferences whatever area, there's a keyboard area. In said keyboard area, you can pick from a bunch of keyboard layouts, probably defaulting to "us". If in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, your mouse driver is evdev or you didn't manually specify the driver (ie it's auto-detected), you might have luck if you set the keyboard driver to "evdev managed" there that window. The opposite may also be true: if its on evdev and your driver isnt evdev, you might try setting the layout to "us".

Obviously, this is assuming you use a US-ish keyboard and should be changed accordingly.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-03-25 03:59:21)

#4 2009-03-25 10:29:48

patrickaupperle

Unfortunately, it did nothing to change away from evdev managed.

#5 2009-03-25 10:52:59

whoops

Hi!

I had that problem with Debian and later Arch, after I messed something up (never found out what). There was a chaotic but easy cure though (I've got no idea, why it did that on 3 different installations the exact same way - might be a logitech-keyboard issue or something... me-as-user-related)?:

- do all keyboard changes needed in xorg.conf NOW, had to repeat "strange steps" after each change.
- add new keyboard layout (no changes to default) in gnome keyboard settings
- delete old keyboard layout
- browse trough the keyboard layout "previews" of the newly added layout until it crashes (this step might be optional *g*)
- restart gnome, add "new new" layout, delete "new old" keyboard layout, and set the "new new" layout right (try evdev-manages first, then switch to youkeyboard/yourlocal if that didn't do it).

good look!

#6 2009-03-25 11:11:06

patrickaupperle

Thanks, it works. I did not do exactly what you did, but it works, so thanks.
What I did (almost the above):
Changed from USA to USA International,
removed USA,
Restarted gnome,
noticed working arrow keys,
added USA Back,
Removed USA International,
Noticed arrow keys did not work,
restarted gnome,
Arrow keys work now.

Board footer