You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 14:01:00

problemkenner

[KDE] font and hotkey question

Hello,

I have two small problems with my notebook using KDE 4.2.

First I changed the font for everything from Sans Serif to DejaVu Sans (in the Control Center). But there is no visible change. Where is the problem?

The second small thing is a problem with my multimedia key for muting my soundspeaker. It then should glow until I unmute it by pressing the key again. But presently it stop glowing after several setting.

Thanks for your help. smile

Last edited by problemkenner (2009-03-24 14:01:33)

#2 2009-03-24 14:08:42

Wilco

Re: [KDE] font and hotkey question

Hotkey: there are a lot of hotkey problems with kde. You could try setting the key manually in the config file somewhere in ~/.kde4.

#3 2009-03-24 14:28:52

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

problemkenner wrote:

First I changed the font for everything from Sans Serif to DejaVu Sans (in the Control Center). But there is no visible change. Where is the problem?

"Sans" and "Sans Serif" are generic font names. The system uses the first available matching font. Obviously this has been DejyVu Sans (or the rather similar Bitstream Vera ) font before.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2009-03-24 14:57:37

problemkenner

Thanks for your fast answers. Everything cleared. smile

Greets

#5 2009-03-24 17:42:44

problemkenner

One last question, just for interess. Why isn't it possible to change the font of the fixed width into something normal instead of using such ugly fonts like monotype, terminal etc?

I mean that font represents the whole desktop, menus of okular or dolophin - I would prefer to change them into for example Verdana to have one font for all.

#6 2009-03-25 08:14:56

Wilco

Should be possible. Just change all fonts and see if you notice a difference. If you do, one of the changes is in the correct font.

#7 2009-03-25 12:16:24

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

problemkenner wrote:

One last question, just for interess. Why isn't it possible to change the font of the fixed width into something normal instead of using such ugly fonts like monotype, terminal etc?

I mean that font represents the whole desktop, menus of okular or dolophin - I would prefer to change them into for example Verdana to have one font for all.

I tried that several times on diverse WM/DMs. It is not worth the effort.

- Some applications select a font based on the monospaced property. There is no chance to select a varying spaced font at all.

- Variable spaced fonts distort any tabular layout based on fixed spacing, e.g. man pages, which makes them less apprehensible.

Better try to find a good looking monospaced fonts suiting your preferences. I currently use DejaVu Sans Mono and am very pleased with it. And in the Xterms I extensively use in my IceWM system I even use lucidatypewriter, which is rather ugly but best readable in as small as possible windows. Thus it all depends on your current needs.

Last edited by bernarcher (2009-03-25 12:18:34)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer