You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-23 14:02:31

tonyisnt

Here's a hairpuller: how come my Oblivion mods won't work?

Before you point me in the other direction, sending me to this thread and this wiki page, I can say that I'm pretty certain case sensitivity is not the issue here.  It's not a load order issue either.  It's not an incompatibility issue.  Some of the mods I want to try out just won't work (when running in Linux).

This past week I've been playing Oblivion a lot (I'm late to this party, I understand) and I finally decided I'd try out some mods.  Not a whole bunch, and not even ones that are necessarily all that game changing.  Basically there are a few for performance, a GUI change, and then a few game enhancing ones.

I've checked and checked again and I'm as sure as I can be about this not having to do with case sensitivity.  There is one meshes folder, one textures folder, etc.  I'm still using a partition from when I built this computer in 2006 that is FAT32 to house my games from when I still used Windows, and the file system indeed ignores cases.  That's why I'm so confused.

Mods that work (in Linux w/ wine): DarNified UI 1.3.2, 7lbsBedrolls-OBSE, HorseCommandsv2, SD Skill Diary.

Mods that don't: Unofficial Oblivion Patch, Streamline 3.1, MD Saddlebags v3.0, Expanded Hotkeys and Spell Delete V2, DropLitTorchOBSE, kurteeInventoryIsABackpack, HorseSpeedEqualsPlayerSpeed, P1DmenuEscape, Oss133FrameRateOptimizer.

But they all work in Windows.  I had to fire up my Windows install to give it its once-every-3-to-6-months action, fired up the game, and they all loaded up right away without a problem.  I can't figure out why. 

In Linux they all load up and are detected fine through OblivionLauncher.exe,  Oblivion Mod Manager, and TES4Edit.exe.  Everything I can think of suggests that they should all be working, but they're not.  I've gotten 4 to work.  So what gives?  Do I have any hope?

#2 2009-03-23 18:29:33

shazeal

Re: Here's a hairpuller: how come my Oblivion mods won't work?

OBSE mods will not run in Linux... probably ever, if you want to play in Linux you need to remove them and find non-OBSE alternatives.

Mods that don't: Unofficial Oblivion Patch, Streamline 3.1, MD Saddlebags v3.0, Expanded Hotkeys and Spell Delete V2, DropLitTorchOBSE, kurteeInventoryIsABackpack, HorseSpeedEqualsPlayerSpeed, P1DmenuEscape, Oss133FrameRateOptimizer.

Unofficial Oblivion Patch <--- this one will work fine, but every single other one you list there afaik is OBSE and has to be removed.

#3 2009-03-24 01:11:04

tonyisnt

The patch is working now, as is the torch one (kind of).  The thing I can't wrap my mind around is why, though.  Especially since I've been reading all day about how some people have no trouble at all.

I'm playing in Windows for now hmm.  We'll see how long this lasts.  If I start playing in Linux again at least I have the new UI and it runs OK.

EDIT: Do you think I'd have any luck in packing the mods I've downloaded as .omods?  I'll give it a shot later.

Last edited by tonyisnt (2009-03-24 02:25:47)

#4 2009-03-24 07:08:11

shazeal

One thing that may help, is making sure everything in the data folder is lowercase, quite often mods mix and match upper/lower case. I just extract them to a temp dir and run 'convmv -f utf8 -r --notest --lower *' on them. Then copy to the data folder. (convmv is in extra).

#5 2009-03-24 23:59:08

tonyisnt

Unfortunately that didn't help either.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Still playing in Windows.  It hurts me a little, but the game, overall, plays and looks better too.  I can't win every battle.

Here's the weird thing, though: my Windows install, which I boot into every 3-6 months, had a virus.  How this happened is far beyond me.

#6 2009-03-25 00:52:00

sand_man

tonyisnt wrote:

Unfortunately that didn't help either.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Still playing in Windows.  It hurts me a little, but the game, overall, plays and looks better too.  I can't win every battle.

Here's the weird thing, though: my Windows install, which I boot into every 3-6 months, had a virus.  How this happened is far beyond me.

Windows is so dirty it can contract virii while it's asleep!

neutral

#7 2009-03-25 10:07:51

Wilco

Checked the permissions of mods? They should be readable and probably writable too

#8 2009-03-25 23:09:57

tonyisnt

As I said, it's a FAT32 partition that doesn't have normal Linux permissions.  Everything is read/write/execute.

Board footer