You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-09 20:49:36

markb

PS2 Mouse setup

Hello everyone Is there a module that needs to be loaded for PS/2 mouse to work in AL?  No matter what I try I get no core pointer device specified.  In the past on other BSD or Linux OS's I would be able to use /dev/wsmouse or /dev/psaux.  Any thoughts? Googled and found other peoples XF86Config's and I  still can't get it to work right.  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks Mark

#2 2003-08-09 20:55:03

kritoke
Website

Re: PS2 Mouse setup

Hmm.  I have a USB mouse and it tends to be located in /dev/input/mice, so you may want to check there even though mine uses a different protocol.  In some cases I have had to load up the modules input and mousedev, mainly in other distros, this one tends to not need it for my mouse for some reason.  I hope that is somewhat of a help.

Kritoke

http://counter.li.org/ Registered Linux User #318963 kritoke@jabber.org

#3 2003-08-09 23:13:40

neri
Forum Fellow

markb wrote:

....In the past on other BSD or Linux OS's I would be able
to use /dev/wsmouse or /dev/psaux....

I have two devices at my laptop - one usb-mouse and a touchpad which is
hardwired to PS/2.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "GlidePointPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout1"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "SendCoreEvents"
    Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Using this configuration I can use them side by side

bye neri

#4 2003-08-10 01:51:33

markb

Tried a couple more things researched more did a symlink mouse->psaux(from AL site) still no luck.  Errors are Unable to determine the screen layout error from xf86handleconfigfile and of course no core printer device specified.  Also at the bottom of the error message it says this XI0: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" Is there possibly a hardware  issue? The chipset that I have is a SIS 730 and I have used this PC for a lot of BSD/Linux XF86 installs and it always worked fine.

#5 2003-08-10 08:21:02

Gyroplast
Website

In such cases I usually suggest installing the gpm package to set up the mouse in the console for a start, thus making sure which device has to be used. Once you know for sure that a certain device is working, it's trivial to edit your XF86Config appropriately.

Greets,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#6 2003-08-10 10:46:34

andy

First, I have a PS2 mouse. I have

Identifier  "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

In the InputDevice Section, and I use it in the ServerLayout Section with

InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

There is also a symlink in /dev :

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 Aug  9 00:04 /dev/psaux -> misc/psaux

I can't remeber if I did it or AL.

Second, it kind of sounds like there may actually be another config file which X is using and maybe you are editing a different file. Do you have a file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ? If so, X will use this, and not /etc/X11/XF86Config. /var/log/XFree86.0.log tell you which config file X is using (one of the first things).

Lastly, my GPM configuration, either in /etc/conf.d/gpm or /etc/rc.conf (the latter takes precedence) is

GPM_ARGS="-m /dev/misc/psaux -t ps2"

#7 2004-02-13 02:06:29

martinaramirez

andy,
     Your post really helped me out.  I was thinking I was going crazy!   I'm still pretty new to linux (only about two months now), but I already love it!  Placing the info in the ServerLayout Section is what I needed!  I now have a really groovy looking desktop!  And to everyone who is developing, supporting or just helping us noob's out, a HUGE thanks!

Martin
A Linux convert (and ArchLinux lover!)

Board footer