You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-26 02:06:30

beem0r

[SOLVED] "Generic Event Extension" missing error message

Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

I get that error when I do a lot of different things. For instance, when I start almost anything from the console - teagtk, eclipse, soffice, sonata, and others.

Now I've heard that the error doesn't really mean anything bad, that it's just a problem with the Xorg server not supporting certain things yet. Fine. What I'm looking for is a way to suppress these errors, if possible. I also saw while searching this forum that the problem might be related to some missing lines in my xorg.conf, but that doesn't seem to be the case upon further inspection, since I have the lines that thread recommended adding.

Yes, it's not really vital to actual productivity, but it is aesthetically unpleasing. Whenever I open gimp or take a screenshot with scrot, it creates one or more of these messages, and those are things I often do from the console rather than via my WM. Is there an easy way to either fix the underlying problem or suppress the error messages, or am I forced to simply deal with it until some developer fixes something?

Last edited by beem0r (2009-03-26 02:45:29)

We all wear masks, whether on our faces or over our hearts.

#2 2009-03-26 02:12:00

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] "Generic Event Extension" missing error message

It's already fixed, just not in the regular repos. When xorg-server 1.6.0 and it's supporting cast of programs is released into core/extra, the message will be gone. Or, if you feel up to it, enable testing and upgrade.

#3 2009-03-26 02:45:17

beem0r

Re: [SOLVED] "Generic Event Extension" missing error message

Nice to know, thanks!

We all wear masks, whether on our faces or over our hearts.

Board footer