You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-26 14:56:42

Trooper

Orginally to Arch dev but to Newbs too.

Heya all Archlinux users.

About me:
First I want to let you know that I registered on the forums 2006-10-23.
Still this is my first post.
I run around 20 Oracle related servers all on solaris, mostly on the new T1 and T2  processors running LDOM
(Logical Domains).

I have been using Arch-linux since before I registered (on the forums) on my workstation at work and main home
computer and server at home. (have a laptop on archlinux due to work too.)

I worked as an Windows IT Administrator for at least 12 years before I finally decided to quit "that" hell on earth
and go the "linux way".
I do run couple of M$ servers today but they are only financials based (M$sql) and one for "Securitas" reasons.

For newcomers: "The Hard TASK" , getting into linux.
When I started my migration to the "linux world" I went the way everyone did. The most recomended,
most used, and the most pre-worked distros but I soon found out that most of it was amiss, or should I say "incomplete".
Getting your setup from a CD dosen't make it perfect.
But dont give up! Windows is that way to.

The distros I tried:
Slackware, Mandrake, Red Hat, Fedora 1-4 and then Gentoo (which I gave up on because of no knowledge)
After compiling Gentoo for days I gave up.

My next up was Ubuntu, which had the hype at the time.
After stuggling with the configuring and occational conflicts, I gave up.

My last resort was google.com.
I am not totally sure what I did lookup but I recon it was something like, "Linux, Rolling release, simple, fast".
Thats where I found Arch linux.
Today its somewhere up-top. If  you look that up on google that is.

So why am I still here:
Because I love "The Arch Way"!

Newcomers:
Dont be scared, look up the wiki. Its the best there is in the linux world.
Set up your computer and learn linux while your at it.
The Archlinux Team know what they are doing but we have to understand they have theyr hands full.

The reason I started this post orginally was not to write anything stupid noob stuff like I already did.
But only wanted to say thanks.

Thanks to the Arch-Devs, support on forums and Wiki team.
The team that makes us a community..

#2 2009-03-26 15:32:54

Alxe

Re: Orginally to Arch dev but to Newbs too.

I recognize I was scared at first. This is because I thought I could erase the window$ on my PC and couldn't do other thing, but I just tried some virtual machines on window$ and thought it was the time; then used the core CD, but fail because of grub-issues, then gave a try to isolinux's thanks to a recommendation and it worked, spent some days getting it to work, and currently I'm happy booting to it as my normal desktop smile

Arch64

Board footer