You are not logged in.

#26 2004-11-07 02:43:07

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Ensmer -- updated: First release with Arch Package

Dusty wrote:

I'm not certain I understand.  When you move the mouse left/right, it should rotate the user view, not the table. It would be like rotating your head from left to right. Is this what's happening?Dusty

I assume the user view should be same with both left &r right and up & down. But they differ.

<b>Up & down</b> - up is liking stretching up thereby seeing the top of the table, down by looking under the table.

Here I am using the cube as sample:
<b>Left & right</b> - when stretching to the left (or rotating our head to right) are we not supposed to see the left side of the cube (actually cube's right side)? What it does the front side is all the time in view. Or let rather say the cube remains in the same angle.

Markku

#27 2004-11-07 04:18:49

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Ah, I see

No, I think this is the 'correct' behavior.  When you move up and down, it would be like floating or sinking; your view *moves* up and down. Same with forward and back. However, the left and right allows rotation of the view, which is different from movement. For example, look at your monitor and turn your head side to side... the angles look basically the same.

What you should be able to do is rotate your view about 45 degrees to the right, then move forward in that direction, and then rotate 90 degrees to the left.... then you can see the table from a different angle.  Try combinations of forward/back and rotation and up down to get a feel for navigation.

Dusty

#28 2004-11-07 05:02:56

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty wrote:

What you should be able to do is rotate your view about 45 degrees to the right, then move forward in that direction, and then rotate 90 degrees to the left.... then you can see the table from a different angle.  Try combinations of forward/back and rotation and up down to get a feel for navigation.

I got it, but not with a smooth 90 degree ..... I don't know how. I just tried all mouse combinations at the same time. smile
I feel something is not correct when comparing the smoothness of forward/back and up/down. Its a 3D, so the three mouse combinations are suppose to have separately the same style of movement/rotation, or I have not yet got the idea how it works.

PS.
How to exit the mouse or window without forcing X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace?

Markku

#29 2004-11-07 18:18:23

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

rasat wrote:

I got it, but not with a smooth 90 degree ..... I don't know how. I just tried all mouse combinations at the same time. smile

This worries me a bit because its supposed to be quite intuitive.... hehehe.  At some point, I'll have to field test it with brand new users and see how they cope; I may have to change things or at least improve the user docs.

I feel something is not correct when comparing the smoothness of forward/back and up/down.

That's very possible. Java interprets the movements of the mouse and the 'clicks' of the wheel in a very different way. I have a feeling the only way to get them to correlate would be to have an adjustable paramater, since it really depends on the hardware.

At the moment, everything is designed for my trackball, which doesn't have a wheel. It uses EmulateWheel functionality, so if I hold down button four and move the ball, it issues wheel events.  I configured the parameter that determines how many 'clicks of the wheel' (programmatically speaking) should constitute a movement by trial and error, comparing it to a forward/back movement of the trackball; with my hardware they correlate perfectly... but not for others, I guess.

I don't really have a mechanism in place for configuration issues like this; its still at the stage where 'everything is compiled in, its easiest to program'. I'll have to focus on the bigger picture, but eventually there will be an object inside ensmer for configuring the system itself.

Its a 3D, so the three mouse combinations are suppose to have separately the same style of movement/rotation, or I have not yet got the idea how it works.

Yes, they should appear to move at about the same speed.  If they don't... I just can't do much about it yet, lol (unless you feel like editing the magic numbers that adjust user input in the source files and recompile... I doubt its worth your time to do this yet though.)

How to exit the mouse or window without forcing X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace?

Personally, I just use Alt-F4; most window managers are configured to close a window with that.

You can also get the mouse pointer back by pressing the 'Shift' Key. Then you can hit the 'close window' button on your window frame.  In the next step, you will be able to select objects with the mouse pointer by holding down the shift key.

Off topic, I'm thinking of switching to an IDE (netbeans) for developing Ensmer... haven't decided yet, I'm still testing it.  I recently switched to JEdit from vim, but.... its not quite as integrated as I would like, and doesn't always play well with Tiger source code.

Dusty

Board footer