You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 01:17:23

moljac024

Swith user functionality without GDM+gnome-screensaver

As the title says, I'm interested in any solutions to easy user switching without being forced to use GDM.
Console login would be the preferred method....any tips ? what do you guys use ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#2 2009-03-26 13:49:23

Dheart

Re: Swith user functionality without GDM+gnome-screensaver

What do you need. I, personally, use su -l username and run the desired application under different user...
Also ctrl + alt + F1 and starting a separate X server could do..

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#3 2009-03-26 18:22:12

moljac024

Re: Swith user functionality without GDM+gnome-screensaver

Dheart wrote:

What do you need. I, personally, use su -l username and run the desired application under different user...
Also ctrl + alt + F1 and starting a separate X server could do..

ctrl + alt +F1 was exactly what I was doing while using CLI login, but that's not very convenient for those people who sometimes need to use my laptop. I guess the only way would be to hack gnome-screensaver to switch to an empty tty, instead of GDM when you click on the "switch user" button....actually, I'll mess with that tomorrow smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer