You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-27 09:13:15

spynode

Xorg crash

Hello. I have been using Archlinux for quite some time now without any significant problems, but yesterday my hdd died and I installed fresh copy of Arch on new one. The problem is my Xorg wont start after installing official nvidia drivers, and the weirdest thing is that Xorg.0.log is completely empty so I can't really troublshoot this but I am sure it is something to do with nvidia driver because it worked before when I tested Xorg with vesa driver. Maybe Xorg starts but it locks right after. It is just black screen and I can't exit Xorg or change terminals or restart computer. All I can do is push reset. It is not evdev related also. I'm 95% positive it is nvidia problem. Maybe I need to add some options to xorg.conf but I have no idea what is the problem as it is just locked black screen and empty Xorg.log. I tried also installing nvidia driver from the Nvidia site but result was the same  as with Arch nvidia package. I have Geforce 6200 by the way wink So is there any known new issues with nvidia driver or what ? I kept my old Arch setup up to date every day and had no problems launching Xorg.

update: I tried vesa driver again and it works so it is nvidia 100%.

Last edited by spynode (2009-03-27 09:57:43)

#2 2009-03-27 09:32:36

MazurMe

Re: Xorg crash

I am not using nvidia but freeze mainly happend for me when I forgot to install and lanuch dbus/hal.

Archlinux: x86_64, Gnome 2.26.*
I am registered Linux user number 485935 since september, 2007.

#3 2009-03-27 09:38:45

spynode

Re: Xorg crash

hal and dbus are runnig. As I said it is probably nvidia drivers fault but I just don't now where to start. I need acceleration and and it did work for me before. I just can't understand what is different. I installed Arch from older CD then updated system and encountered this Xorg crash. Then I downloaded newest Arch CD installed it updated system, installed hal, Xorg, nvidia etc and again this crash. I really need my desktop up and running as fast as possible so please help me guys smile

update: Disablling NvAgp in xorg.conf works so I guess it is some conflict of agpgart with nvagp.

update: Ok so I added blacklist via_agp to modprobe.conf but it still loads agpgart module because it is reauired by nvidia module. Any suggestions how to get rid of that and if it is even possible ?

I tried older versions of nvidia driver with same results. So it probably has something to do with kernel ? I really have no idea what to do. I really would hate to use agpgart as agp backend for X. I mean it worked 24 hours ago on different install on same box why it is not working now on fresh install ? Something is broken for sure.

Last edited by spynode (2009-03-27 12:33:08)

Board footer