You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-27 14:15:03

ljshap

Openbox speed advantage over DE's

I'm currently using openbox as my wm, but unlike a lot of archers, I'm one of "those" people, using perlpanel and idesk in addition to conky.  Does openbox still have a "significant" speed advantage over DE's like kdemod3-base when using a panel and icons.  It currently takes about 3 seconds from startx to a fully painted openbox screen.  Openbox definitely uses less memory than a full DE and seems to have less processes running. 

With the panel and icons, I like openbox better than the lighter weight DE's like xfce, lxde.  The only kde-base application I miss is konqueror with 2 file panels and a full docked bash shell.

Live Free or Die !

#2 2009-03-27 14:24:09

SkonesMickLoud
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Openbox speed advantage over DE's

You can still install/use Konqueror and have a shell pinned to the desktop.

#3 2009-03-27 14:48:16

ljshap

Re: Openbox speed advantage over DE's

SkonesMickLoud wrote:

You can still install/use Konqueror and have a shell pinned to the desktop.

I wanted to keep my post short, so I left out a lot of details.  I used to have kdemod3-base installed and was able to access konqueror when running openbox, either from the menu or an icon.  If "pinned" has the same meaning as in the way conky is pinned to the desktop, I'd be glad to hear it.  My ideal desktop would be an ncurses desktop with a mainmenu, task switcher and would have MC "pinned" to the desktop so that is always there.  I wrote the mainmenu part, but the other stuff is way over my head.  Having a mainmenu pinned to the desktop would replace the icons and be much faster.

Thanks

Live Free or Die !

Board footer