You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-22 20:03:46

brisbin33
Website

Graveman failing on audio cd without descriptive errors

So due to a bug with kde+xcompmgr in openbox on xorg >= 1.5 i had to ditch all my kde apps.  i've happily ditched amarok for mpd and i've moved to graveman from k3b.  i'm giving you this backstory only because k3b worked flawlessly in all situations but graveman is giving me the two following "undocumented features".

burning dvd iso's
i mention this first because i have a workaround, but it's kind of odd.  if i put a blank dvd in the tray, and --while the blank dvd is spinning up-- i choose the copy option, source = an iso file, destination = my dvd burner,  the graveman window displays "initializing..." then proceeds to burn the dvd w/o issue.  on the other hand, if i place the blank dvd in the tray and wait for the device to spin up and settle, graveman fails with "please insert a blank CD-R, currently in tray: DVD-R" my only recourse is to open/close the tray and attempt the burn while it's still spinning up; then, it works.  wierd, right?

burning an audio cd
when i attempt to burn an audio cd through graveman i get "Operation failed" immediately.  no errors (even when started via CLI) and not even an attempt to start, just immediatly fails.  hence i create a script that converts to .wav then calls this:

cdrecord dev=/dev/sr0 -eject speed=48 -pad -audio ${dir}/*.wav

this completes succesfully, with only some warnings about using /dev or something...  now, i know graveman is just a frontend to burning tools and uses cdrecord to master the cd's so it should essentially issue the above command.  the only difference i can find is graveman by default detects my dvd drive as /dev/scd0, now even if i add another burner and call it /dev/sr0, it still fails with the same [lack of an] error message.

i'm using the following:

> pacman -Q graveman cdrtools
graveman 0.3.12.5-4
cdrtools 2.01.01a57-1

and i have the cd/dvd entries commented out in fstab... don't remember why but i thought that was recommended somewhere around here.

i went with cdrtools from aur because, despite the licensing debates, it seemed everyone agreed it gave better results.  i will probably reinstall cdrkit at some point and test, thought i would post this in the meantime.

update:

swapped cdrtools for cdrkit, no change.  created scripts to handle both scenarios all together, maybe i'll just ditch burning guis for cli anyway smile

oh, and because i know it could be the first suggestion:

> groups
log audio optical storage power users vboxusers patrick

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-03-22 20:52:59)

#2 2009-03-28 00:58:11

mongoose088

Re: Graveman failing on audio cd without descriptive errors

Hello brisbin,

Recently I've had the same problem as well, and I believe I have a fix.
I've just converted 3 of my .mp3s over to .wav with the command "ffmpeg -i input.mp3 output.wav"

Graveman has converted it and is in the process of burning. I'll update if the CD works.

EDIT: Seems to be working really well. I burned mine at 8x because sometimes when I burn at higher speeds I get skips and pops in the audio. Hope it helps.

Last edited by mongoose088 (2009-03-28 01:19:14)

#3 2009-03-28 16:24:27

brisbin33
Website

Re: Graveman failing on audio cd without descriptive errors

thanks.  i've been using this now, a similar approach.  ditch those guis!

#!/bin/bash
# just a simple utility to burn audio cds
# (because graveman sucks!)
#
# pbrisbin 2009
#
###

# check inputs
if [ ! -d $1 ]; then
  echo ""
  echo "Aburn supports burning a folder of files"
  echo "   i.e: aburn /path/to/Directory"
  echo ""
  exit 0
fi

# User settings
WD="/tmp/aburn"
DEV="/dev/sr0"

# set up the environment
[ -d $WD ] || (mkdir $WD && chmod 700 $WD)

# first find songs and convert to wav
echo "Building .WAV files..."
count=1
find $1 -type f | while read song; do
  mpg123 -w $WD/$count.wav $song > /dev/null && echo "   Track $count converted to .wav..."
  count=$(( count + 1 ))
done

# burn it
echo "Burning CDA in 3..."
sleep 1 && echo "               2..."
sleep 1 && echo "               1..."
sleep 1 && cdrecord dev=$DEV -eject speed=48 -pad -audio ${WD}/*.wav > /dev/null || echo "Blank CD Much?"

# clean up
rm -r $WD

echo "All Set, ejecting..."
exit 0

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-03-28 16:24:49)

Board footer