You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-07 01:22:56

brihall

udev update, missing udevcontrol?

During the recent klibc update, pacman also updated udev to 128-5, and afterwards my custom udev rules no longer work. I went to restart udev with "udevcontrol restart" and I see that udevcontrol is missing? Where did that go, did something replace it? Restarting hal didn't help. Probably the udev update changed something. Couldn't find anything in the forums of bugs...

#2 2008-10-08 07:53:58

nielsb
Website

Re: udev update, missing udevcontrol?

brihall wrote:

During the recent klibc update, pacman also updated udev to 128-5, and afterwards my custom udev rules no longer work. I went to restart udev with "udevcontrol restart" and I see that udevcontrol is missing? Where did that go, did something replace it? Restarting hal didn't help. Probably the udev update changed something. Couldn't find anything in the forums of bugs...

I noticed that as well. After having looked around a little bit, it seems that udevcontrol has been replaced with udevadm. Have a look at the man page for udevadm and see what it does. The command to reload the rules seem now to be: udevadm control --reload-rules

HTH

Niels

MacBook4.1 - Arch64 - OpenBox WM

#3 2008-10-08 13:05:11

brihall

Thanks, I'll add that to my list of obscure commands I rarely use and can't remember.

Unfortunately, doing "udevadm control --reload-rules" and restarting hal didn't help, I had to reboot (gasp!) for my custom devices to show up in /dev/disk/by-label.

Would be nice pacman could restart the appropriate daemons after udev+etc upgrade, or at least tell you what commands to issue or recommend a reboot if necessary.

#4 2009-03-27 01:26:39

Ranguvar

Hey -- sorry to bump this old thread, but I'd like to know a way of reloading /dev smile Anyone come up with something? As above, udevadm control --reload-rules does not work.

#5 2009-03-28 16:45:16

DonVla

perhaps

udevadm trigger

vlad

Board footer