You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-08 09:49:52

leo.pisolo

Don't know where to key in...

Hi,
I'm back with another problem...

I have a Server running Suse 7.3 with HIGHPOINT RAID ATA133 HPT374 PCI card.
I upgraded to ArchLinux 0.7b2.

The problem is that I don't know how to load the driver on startup.

In Suse, I had the following 2 lines in the /etc/modules.conf working:
'probeall block-major-8 scsi_mod sd_mod hpt374'
'options -k hpt374'

Of couse no info/man for general installation from the mfg website (only for Suse/RedHat).

Driver has been compiled for the kernel installed properly and with 'insmod /home/test/hpt374.ko' it's loaded and working (without modprobe scsi driver)

Someone can help me ?
I'm new about kernel 2.6.x and Archlinux!

PS: HDPARM is useful for IDE-RAID configuration ?
Is there someone can suggest me the best options for ATA100/133 ?
Thank you
Leo

#2 2004-11-08 10:33:18

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Don't know where to key in...

you could try generate_modprobe.conf, which attempts to generate a modprobe.conf from a modules.conf. Never used it..but it is in the modprobe.conf man page info..

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-11-08 10:55:55

leo.pisolo

Okay I tried but the file /etc/modprobe.con remain the same!
Or, probably I misunderstood what you mean with 'generate_modprobe.conf'.
I read 'man modprobe.conf' but the command 'generate_modprobe.conf' is working for 2.4.x/2.2.x kernel only (google say!)

Anyway now, when from shell I digit 'modprobe hpt374' the driver is loaded perfectly.

So I believe I have just to understand what is the option '-k' that was required under Suse ('insmod -k hpt374').

Due I need the raid partition (/dev/sda1) be mounted together at the other drivers during boot, I believe that the driver (modprobe) should be loaded before the partitions are remounted in rw mode (following the fstab file)!

In Suse/RH I can include a normal command line as 'modprobe...' inside '/etc/rc.sysinit' file before the remount in rw step.

I'm new in Archlinux and I don't know about it.
Thanks!

#4 2004-11-08 11:12:58

dauphin

I am not certain I fully understand what you need.  I would normally just insert the name of the module (hpt374) in the MODULES line in /etc/rc.conf

If that does not achieve what you require, perhaps you could explain a bit further.

#5 2004-11-08 17:32:15

Hum

dauphin wrote:

I am not certain I fully understand what you need.  I would normally just insert the name of the module (hpt374) in the MODULES line in /etc/rc.conf

If that does not achieve what you require, perhaps you could explain a bit further.

i think he means that he needs the module to load before his hds mount in rw.. my only suggestion is to build a custom kernel with the modules that you need built into it and then you don't have to worry about loading them at all

#6 2004-11-09 00:15:20

leo.pisolo

Hi to all.
first of all thanks for your time and patient.
Now I'm more sure my english is very poor! :-))

Okay my configuration :

- HDD Eide master IDE (boot) 80Giga with Arch Linux
- Controller RAID PCI (supported by Linux/Bsd) with 4 HDD in Raid 5.

Archlinux boot smooth from disc0 (Primary Master IDE).
On the RAID there is the shared (samba) directories for all the PC clients.
The RAID need a driver to work (hpt374), so I believe first load the driver and then mount the RAID partition in, for example, /mnt.

The driver is the HPT 374 that is different from the one in kernel 2.6.x (so I always have to disable from kernel, recompile a new kernel, and build the new driver from the source through a 'makefile' supplied from the manufacturer of the RAID card).

Driver was loaded under Suse 7.3 (kernel 2.4.x) with 2 lines inside the file /etc/modules.conf, that are the two lines I mentioned on my first post.

I tried to load the driver HPT374 as module inside /etc/rc.conf, but I need the option '-k' when the driver is loaded (manually : 'modprobe -k hpt374') so I don't know where to key in the option '-k' to load properly the driver.
Funny thing is that Highpoint (manufacturer) nowhere explain the meaning of '-k' option, just force everybody to use it, telling twice to remember about it ("please remember that '-k' option must be included everytime you load the driver, otherwise it will not work properly"!!!)

So, if I load the driver through /etc/rc.conf, I cannot include "-k" option.
If I have to load manually/separately, I don't have idea where I can setup a script or include this command!

You also mention about "build a kernel" with the driver in. It sound great!
I'm newbie: can you redict me some HOWTO about compiling kernel with a driver in? I always just untar the new valilla kernel fvrom kernel.org, and proceed with taking aways all modules I do not need! So I don't know how to include external driver/module and patches.

Thanks for your great patient!
Thanks to Archlinux for a great distro!

#7 2004-11-09 01:13:34

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

from man modprobe

-k, --autoclean
              Set  'autoclean'  on loaded modules.  Used by the kernel when it
              calls on modprobe to satisfy a missing feature  (supplied  as  a
              module).   The  -q  option is implied by -k.  These options will
              automatically be sent to insmod.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer