You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-29 14:53:40

palobo

[SOLVED] Another tint2 issue (WM: Openbox)

Hi all.

I recently made the switch to Arch and am loving it more as time goes by. I also decided to switch full bloated DEs and gave Openbox a try. (It's true what the say... Once you go standalone WM, you never go back :-D )

Any way, I'm still in the businness of setting up and tried tint2. All is great so far except I can't get the main background to work. No matter what opacity I set I get a solid background.

I've included a screenie for all to see. Also I have a problem the background of tasks in systray but I think it might all be related.

I once came across a thread with a similar problem but can't seem to find it again. I've been through the wiki, forum but nada...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Edit: Found on another forum a sugestion to try and put in my autostart (sleep 10 openbox --restart). Unfortunately that didn't help. Any ideas??

Cheers,
P.

Last edited by palobo (2009-03-30 00:58:58)

" If it aint broke... Then you're not trying hard enough! "

#2 2009-03-29 16:10:20

palobo

Re: [SOLVED] Another tint2 issue (WM: Openbox)

OK. Another update.

Apparently setting a bacground resolves the problm. (Not the task bacground but the panel transparency).

I think I'll open a bug report on this over at the homepage.

Setting this solved since the task bacground is a known problem.

Cheers,
P.

#3 2009-03-29 19:14:00

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The 'default' background is grey if you don't set anything yourself. That's how it works. Frankly I don't think defaulting to black if no background is set is a 'bug'.

You can use the tint configuration file to define whether your taskbar needs to be transparent or not. Default settings are a matter of taste - and decided upon by the developer.

For reference, the tint2 developer has a horribly complete reference on tint2 - in PDF, downloadable on the homepage. I've never seen a better documented program.

You are also using some compositing manager it seems, judging by the shadows of your focused window. Fake transparency & compositing often don't play well. You might want to look into that.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2009-03-29 20:29:11

palobo

@B: I have to agree with you as to regards to tint2's documentation. I have read and reread it.

What was happening in my case was that I hadn't yet set a background in Openbox. I had already tried a varied number of diferent configs for tint2's background with always the same result (that solid black background).

I wasn't aware that tint2 had fake transparency and that could be what was causing the issue.

Thankfully that is resolved now. All that is left is for the developer to further his progress with regards to the systray.

Cheers and thanks for your input.
P.

Board footer