You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-07 20:53:30

slackhack

usb digicam - only works as root

i can't figure out where the permissions are. in /proc/bus/usb i have 3 directories (001 002 003) and 1 file, devices. originally all had root:root ownerships. i wasn't sure which one to change, so i changed them all to root:users -R just to be sure, and it still didn't work. (group=users in usbcam, btw.)

then i tried changing the rwx permissions of all to 644, and since then, gtkam now can't even detect the camera as user. before changing the rwx, pressing detect detected the cam  (canon A75) as USB PTP, but then when i pressed apply, it said it couldn't initialize camera. as root, it initialized and dloaded the pics (to where is another question :?: tongue i saw them in gtkam, though).

i'm guessing i'm not missing any modules, since it does work as root (i did notice that i don't have sr-mod, though -- what is that, anyway?) usb-storage and the hcd modules are loaded.

so, can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong, or where to change the permissions (if that is in fact the problem)? thx

#2 2004-11-07 22:17:51

lanrat

Re: usb digicam - only works as root

Isn't it a job for hotplug?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Digital%20Cameras

or I don't understand something...

Anyway for me it works (for months) with canon ixus v3.

#3 2004-11-07 22:46:03

slackhack

but hotplug is on, right? or else why would it work as root? :?:

---------------
edit: i just checked my kernel, and i didn't select sd_mod when i was configuring all the usb and scsi stuff. i'm compiling that in and will give it a go. i'll post back if it doesn't work, thx.

#4 2004-11-08 13:51:54

lanrat

Should be :-)

But you have to configure it so when you attach your digital camera via usb it will create an event that will create devices and ensure proper permissions (I don't have special group. I just used root:users).
Wiki is dead now so I have to stop here (I hope it'll be back soon).

If you are sure hotplug creates devices with proper permissions then another problem could be digikam (or kde/dcop) itself. Once I run digikam from user account but using su. This changed permissions for dcop files in my user home directory and some kde stuff in /tmp or /var/tmp (don't remember now). I had to change them back.

But I think it's about hotplug configuration.
Are you sure you did everything as it's described in the wiki?

#5 2004-11-08 15:08:58

patrix

The wiki is down so I can't verify what they wrote; I made it work by adding a camera group and adding my user to this group, then copying 2 files I found using a google search on this subject:

/etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam and usbcam.usermap

These 2 files will manage permissions so the digicam is usable by anyone in the "camera" group.

#6 2004-11-08 16:59:35

slackhack

yes, i followed the wiki exactly. the problem indeed was no sd_mod, which i just compiled in and now it works as user. big_smile great wiki! thx.

Board footer