You are not logged in.

#1 2002-09-17 06:11:36

Sp00n

AAAHHH -- GNOME settings

ok, i'm haveing trouble with kde... i've never had them b4 but here whats up.  i open lets say ark to decompress a tgz file and all i get is the window and the 'file options........' bar. nothing in the window, and that goes all they way down, and never stops(i can srink it from the top down then move it up for hours and it'll never fit on the screen), so i figure pfffff who likes kde any way! so i get gnome all installed nice and fine. i start it and i get 'could not look up address of yoohoo(the puters name)' so i'll add it to /etc/hosts later. but the i get a
' ther was an error starting the GNOME settings deamon
Some thinks, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may now work correctly
the last error message was:
Failed to executer gnome-session-deamon: 2 (no such file or directory)
GNOME will still try to restart the settins daemon. next time you log in.'

so i say ok just let me in. and then i get that xfree defualt backround... and no gnome....

#2 2002-10-08 13:25:35

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: AAAHHH -- GNOME settings

Gnome2 was pretty much broken until elanthis started working on it.  From what I gather, he's got everything playing together nicely now.  If you've upgraded and you're still having problems with Gnome, please pm/email him.

#3 2002-10-11 16:25:36

elanthis
Website

You'll need to install the control-center package to get that one.  There's no real easy way to install all the gnome bits you need atm.

For now, the best I can recommend is run these commands:

pacman -S xfree86
pacman -S pango
pacman -S gconf
abs
cd /usr/src/abs/gnome
pacman -S `ls`

Anyways, assuming I got that path right (only have Redcrap/Debian machines at work), you should get a fully usable GNOME2.  The first three commands are for a phantom bug that only sometimes occurs in pacman - those packages need to be installed in that particular order, so doing it manually saves grief, for now.

Also note that the last line has backticks around the ls - that's the key underneath the Escape key on most PC keyboards.

What?

#4 2002-11-27 02:17:25

elanthis
Website

Is this after a clean install?  did you install any other packages, or make *any* configuration changes?

What?

Board footer