You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-08 19:19:05

nacnud

Can use KDE without display manager?

I installed Arch for the first time this weekend, and am very happy with it.  In a wiki on desktop environments I read that you can start xfce4 from the command line--that is, without using a display manager such as GDM or KDM.  I tried this and it worked--but it doesn't work when I enter "startkde" at the command line.  I get the following errors:

xsetroot: unable to open display ''
[repeated several times]
ksplash: cannot connect to xserver
$DISPLAY is not set

I'm not sure what this means.  Can one skip KDM and the whole splash business with KDE?

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 2004-11-08 19:40:15

kill

Re: Can use KDE without display manager?

x needs to be running to use kde. edit your .xinitrc file and add startkde to it, then run startx, that will start kde when you start the x server.

#3 2004-11-08 20:20:58

nacnud

I edited the .xinitrc file as suggested, but when startx is entered it attempts to load and then shuts down with the message

line 9: exec wmaker : not found

Am I putting "startkde" in the wrong place?  I put it right after the line "#start some nice programs" in .xinitrc.  (It's follow by some lines that I think have to do with TWM.)

#4 2004-11-08 20:55:19

soniX

you need to comment out wmaker
put # at the start of that line to comment it out...

your .xinitrc should therefor only contain one line without #
and that line sould say "startkde" or "exec startkde" (dont remember/dont know the difference)

(if I remember correctly, "startkde" or "exec startkde" is already in the default .xinitrc file... just remove the # infront of it, and put # in front of wmaker, and it should be ok)

#5 2004-11-09 01:39:36

nacnud

Thanks, this worked.  It turns out I was mucking about with the wrong .xinitrc file!

Board footer