You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-30 04:29:41

The Orange Peanut

Can screen not keep GUI applications open?

Bascically, what I am trying to do is ssh with x forwarding into my home machine and start a torrent and keep it going after I logout.  I thought screen would be able to do this by logging in, launching ktorrent, detaching the screen and then logging out.  However, when I log back in, it appears ktorrent has crashed at some point in time.  Is this because I'm no longer logged in?  Is there a way I can do this?  As it stands, I can log in and run ktorrent, but that means I have to keep putty open (I'm doing this on a windows machine.)  I can 'close' ktorrent because technically it goes to the tray, but I still have to have my terminal window open...

Last edited by The Orange Peanut (2009-03-30 04:30:37)

#2 2009-03-30 04:57:53

matt0509
Website

Re: Can screen not keep GUI applications open?

X-forwarding means that the display server is running on the local machine and that the client application is running on the remote computer.  That would mean that the client application would cease running once the display server is terminated.  In your case the client application is ktorrent and the display server is the machine that you are ssh-ing from, which would explain why ktorrent crashes after you kill the x-server.
Screen is the right idea here, however it doesn't work with X.  There is a tool called xmove that may be what you're looking for:

matt@bender ~ $ pacman -Ss xmove
community/xmove 2.0beta2-2
    A tool to move X windows to different X servers, something like a GNU screen for X.

I've never tried this before and have no idea if it works or what it's limitations are.  I don't really use bittorrent that often, but I think a terminal based client may end up being a better solution.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42956

#3 2009-03-30 14:58:50

The Orange Peanut

Yes, rtorrent in this case would be a better solution, but I thought I'd ask because I may want to do this with other applications.  Thanks for telling me about xmove, I'll give it a try.

#4 2009-03-30 15:14:56

matt0509
Website

Ok.  Let me know how it works out (or if it even works) as I'm a little curious about the program myself.  I can think of a few applications for such a program... haha.

#5 2009-03-30 16:28:45

brisbin33
Website

hey orange, i'd like to set this up as well.  i also use putty to connect from windows.  can you tell me:

is "X11Forwarding yes" the only required option in sshd_config?

what xserver do you use on windows?

im guessing i need to do something with $DISPLAY to get it working properly.  if you could post back some short answers or point me to a decent wiki on the topic it'd be much appreciated.

/threadhijacking smile

Board footer