You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-30 21:15:43

breakdown

[Solved] Unable to start GNOME 2.26

Hi guys, after upgrade to GNOME 2.26 in testing I can no longer enter into a GNOME session. Either with GDM, or manually with 'startx' command from terminal prompt ("exec ck-launch-session gnome-session" line in .xinitrc), screen stays black, loading no more gnome stuff.

Here is the output from Xorg log:

xauth:  creating new authority file /home/breakdown/.serverauth.10475

X.Org X Server 1.6.0
Release Date: 2009-2-25
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.28-ARCH i686
Current Operating System: Linux blackmailer 2.6.29-zen #6 Sun Mar 29 18:20:59 CEST 2009 i686
Build Date: 02 March 2009  06:09:25PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Mar 30 21:53:40 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Setting master
gnome-session[10498]: WARNING: No required applications specified
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-lfxDEc/socket
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-lfxDEc/socket.ssh
GNOME_KEYRING_PID=10516

** (gnome-power-manager:10522): WARNING **: DBUS error: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.ScreenSaver': no such name
** (gnome-power-manager:10522): DEBUG: proxy is NULL, maybe the daemon responsible for org.gnome.ScreenSaver is not running?
Dropping master
Setting master
Dropping master
Setting master
Dropping master
Setting master
Dropping master
Setting master
Dropping master
Setting master
Dropping master
Setting master
Dropping master
Setting master
Dropping master
Setting master
Dropping master

waiting for X server to shut down gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 104 (Connessione abbattuta dal corrispondente) on X server :0.0.
The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

** ERROR **: couldn't get D-Bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-RHjOx2TE4H: Connessione rifiutata
aborting...

xinit:  unexpected signal 2.

The last part of the log is caused by CTRL-C manually pressed on terminal prompt, after waiting 5-6 minutes.
Looking deeper into the problem, I've found out that with a few packages (gnome-terminal, libgweather, gnome-panel, gnome-control-center, libgnome and libgailgnome), during corresponding upgrading process, the following error occurs (separately with each of these packages):

usr/sbin/gconfpkg: line 18:  4356 Segmentation fault      GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --get-default-source` /usr/bin/gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule /usr/share/gconf/schemas/${pkgname}.schemas > /dev/null

I don't know if this is in some way related to my problem, but nevertheless I've tried to reinstall these packages from other mirrors (thinking they might be a result of a corrupted download), but the same error message, for each of these packages, is shown.

Also checked correctness of /etc/pam.d/{gdm,gnome-screensaver,passwd}, as writed in the wiki pages, but they were already correct.

Tried with deleting existing .gconf* .gnome* user directory, running startx as root, tried with a new user expecially created, reinstalling all gnome testing packages, but none of these seems to work for me.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: the Xorg log message says that "another gnome-keyring-daemon is running", but from ps and htop it seems that there is only one.

Last edited by breakdown (2009-04-01 09:09:50)

#2 2009-03-30 22:39:35

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: [Solved] Unable to start GNOME 2.26

try installing gdm and login from there.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2009-03-30 23:33:52

breakdown

wonder wrote:

try installing gdm and login from there.

As I stated in my post, also with GDM I get the same problem:

# less /var/log/gdm/\:0.log

X.Org X Server 1.6.0
Release Date: 2009-2-25
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.28-ARCH i686 
Current Operating System: Linux blackmailer 2.6.29-zen #6 Sun Mar 29 18:20:59 CEST 2009 i686
Build Date: 02 March 2009  06:09:25PM

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Mar 31 00:54:17 2009
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Setting master 
Dropping master 
Setting master 
Dropping master

This time the gnome-power-manager and gnome-keyring-daemon lines are not present, but I think probably because gdm log doesnt catch them.

#4 2009-03-31 00:30:58

whoops

No idea if that info helps in any way, but: I start with GDM and after the last update my error-list grew a whole lot bigger. Almost everything still seems to work, though. I did that update with "yaourt -Sybu-aur" by the way, i think I saw the same error you mentioned and some more, but I kept building with yaourt and downloading with pacman by turns until I somehow felt like it was enough...

.xsession-errors:

etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-kbxeqL/socket
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-kbxeqL/socket.ssh
gnome-session[4850]: WARNING: Application 'compiz.desktop' failed to register before timeout
** (gnome-volume-control-applet:4987): DEBUG: Disabling debugging
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
W: ltdl-bind-now.c: original dlopen-Loader not found.

** (gnome-power-manager:4985): WARNING **: DBUS error: Could not get owner of name 'org.gnome.ScreenSaver': no such name
** (gnome-power-manager:4985): DEBUG: proxy is NULL, maybe the daemon responsible for org.gnome.ScreenSaver is not running?

** (gnome-power-manager:4985): WARNING **: This machine is not identified as a laptop.system.formfactor is desktop.

** (gnome-power-manager:4985): WARNING **: This machine is not identified as a laptop.system.formfactor is desktop.
** (gnome-power-manager:4985): DEBUG: This machine is not identified as a laptop.system.formfactor is desktop.
** (gnome-power-manager:4985): DEBUG: We are not a laptop, so not even trying

** (nautilus:4983): WARNING **: libgnome-desktop-2.so.7: Cannot open Shared-Object-File: File or folder not found

** (gnome-screensaver:5108): WARNING **: Couldn't get presence status: Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

... but everything except the screensaver seems to work fine. So if I were you I would try to reinstall keyring and openssh out of no particular reason and that probably wouldn't fix anything, but maybe you know to do something better with the "comparison error list". wink

good luck!

#5 2009-04-01 09:07:59

breakdown

Well, it seems that i've found a temporarly solution for this nasty problem.
What i have to do is to reinstall the gnome-session package *every* time i want to start GNOME, maybe this is caused by some type of conflict with gconf values between 2.24 and 2.26 packages (in fact gnome-session is still at 2.24 version). The problem regarding failure to registering relative gconf schemas, problem limited with a few packages only, still persist, and this caused a screwed up GNOME desktop appearence because of missing or empty gconf values.
But the main problem of entering into GNOME session, at least, is solved (though in a such a tricky way).

#6 2009-04-01 13:35:36

MindTooth

I just hope that we will se GDM 2.26 soon. I guess this is more compliant with GNOME 2.26.

Birger smile

Board footer