You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-09 17:32:22

davvil

[Solved] FAIL messages for services switching to text console

I expect this has been answered before, but the search terms I tried in the forum and the wiki didn't help. So, here it goes:

When I try to start or stop a service from a terminal under X, or issue a netcfg command, and it fails, the system switches to a text console. The fail message is in the terminal I started the command from, as it should be. I do not have this problem when the service starts correctly. It's not a big issue, but it is a bit annoying. Anyone has a hint as how to solve it?

Last edited by davvil (2009-03-31 11:56:36)

#2 2009-03-31 11:55:46

davvil

Re: [Solved] FAIL messages for services switching to text console

Well, I found what the problem was. I installed the fbsplash package (nice image at boot) and this overwrites the stat_fail function defined in /etc/rc.d/functions. The idea is that if there is an error, the display changes from the boot splasch image to a text console, where you probably can see some information about the error. This is ok at booting time, but not in normal usage. I deactivated it locally in my computer, but I will try to find a smarter way to do it, so that the boot functionality is kept.

Board footer