You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-06 06:49:49

android

Allow change of forum username

Hi There,

This isn't a critical issue but I think it would be easily solved.

I initially signed up with my full name as my forum username, now I don't like my full name anymore 8-)

I administer a couple of phpBB forums myself and I know it's possible to enable the ability of the user to change their username in the profiles window.

I know, I could just start a new user, but it's taken me since the summer of 2003 to accumulate the meager number of posts to my credit and I really don't want to start over. Plus, I've had this user around for a year and a half now and I don't really want to reset that clock either. (aren't computer geeks anal retentive 8-)

Like I said, I know this isn't earth shattering, but it is really easy to allow users to change their usernames in phpBB and even if the board admin could enable it long enough for me to change my name and then disable it again, I'd be very VERY happy (OK, I'm easily pleased 8-)

Unless there's a specific reason the arch forums don't allow this, Could y'all please turn it on?

Thanks!!!

John E. A.

#2 2004-11-06 22:12:14

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Allow change of forum username

I always thought the username acted as a key in the database, which would make it hard to modify.... that's why they have to be unique? I haven't looked at phpBB code, so I'll take your word for it...

If its really not that hard, I'm sure you could PM apeiro and ask him to change your name for you. If you explain how to do it and how its not that difficult and act extremely polite, he may even do it.  However, he's a very busy man and it won't be high on his priority list.

Dusty

#3 2004-11-07 02:16:50

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Few earlier username changes have been made and changed by apeiro. Send him a pm.

Markku

#4 2004-11-09 03:45:36

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I got the admin access from apeiro, what user name do you prefer?

Markku

#5 2004-11-09 19:36:42

android

John Andrews is transformed by the high technology of phpBB uberadmin rasat.

Now android !!!

8-)

Thank You rasat!!! And Thank You aperio!!!

#6 2004-11-10 02:15:58

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

lol

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2005-04-04 21:07:24

miqorz

I'd like my name changed to 'paranoyd'.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

Board footer