You are not logged in.

#26 2008-04-21 20:25:19

Reasons

Re: [Update: Version 0.0.2 now available]Noteo - system tray notifications

Would it be possible to have it so the pacman icon wasn't so huge? I've tried everything I can think of.

#27 2008-04-22 20:25:57

bavardage

Can I see a screenshot or something - huge is hard to quantify, as well as me not knowing which pacman icon you mean...
I'm sure it can be trivially fixed.

#28 2008-04-23 07:04:41

zyghom
Website

there is an error in battery notification
if AC is connected then it keeps showing 100%, even if real value is different
see here:
noteo1.jpg

second: did noteo ask me for permission to check anything on internet ?
if this is not the case then why it shows: Debug Message: ('checking for updates',)

Debug Message(trayutilities): ('hi this is just a test of debug stuff',)
Module BatteryStatus said hello!
Module BatteryStatus said 'Done Initialising'
Module PacmanStatus said hello!
Module PacmanStatus said 'Done Initialising'
Debug Message: ('checking for updates',)
Debug Message: ('updates are', ['None'])
Debug Message: ('The active modules are:', '')

Last edited by zyghom (2008-04-23 07:05:10)

Zygfryd Homonto

#29 2008-04-23 10:44:44

bavardage

The ac-thing is a bug - will try and get a bugfix up on the AUR tonight.

The debug msg is from the PacmanStatus module, which of course, must access the internet to check for updates. I'm not sure quite what you mean by 'asking for permission' - do you mean that the PacmanStatus module should ask for permission before checking for updates?

The debug msgs are not important at all, and are there for me when developing - they just tell me what's happening when -  I stupidly forgot to include an option to turn the debug messages off - this will be in the next release. If you want to turn them off you could edit /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/noteo/noteo.py and change the line

DEBUG = True

to
DEBUG = False

#30 2008-04-23 10:48:35

zyghom
Website

correct me if I'm wrong but I'd like to know that any software is connecting internet BEFORE it does smile
this is obvious that pacman is connecting but if noteo does it as well then maybe this could be an option in config ?

Zygfryd Homonto

#31 2008-04-23 19:41:09

bavardage

Noteo itself does not connect to the internet.
GmailCheck does - obviously.
PacmanStatus does

The modules which connect to the internet will do so in order to perform their function. No module will connect to the internet for any other reason :S - is it normal for GmailCheck-type apps to ask before connecting? Do you have a message when you use thunderbird/eclipse?

Feel free to hack it in yourself - all in python so easily editable.

Thanks for reporting the bug btw - should be fixed now and the new version on the AUR - http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16032

#32 2008-09-15 12:11:25

even
Website

Hi, i'm trying noteo, but i cant see it. When it start:

$ noteo
Debug Message(trayutilities): ('hi this is just a test of debug stuff',)
Module Popup said hello!
Module Popup said 'Done Initialising'
Debug Message: ("creating popup from initwith markup 'None' and id None",)
Debug Message: ('create_key is', 'init-1')
Debug Message: ('destroying popup of id', -1)
Debug Message: ("returning from popup_destroyed - key doesn't exist",

But nothing is visible in anywhere of my screen. I'm using openbox with xcompmgr.

#33 2008-09-15 12:18:45

cwjiof

Great work! I love it. Thank you.

#34 2008-09-15 18:10:21

bavardage

@even: do you have anything which provides a systray - that's the only visual feedback you'll get that noteo's running. You don't need to have visual feedback for it to work though (install noteo-notify and then try something like

notify-send "Hello"

and you should see something)

@cwjiof: thanks.

#35 2008-10-04 00:54:19

zenix
Website

I'm soooo sorry that I took this long to install noteo, for that I'm sorry! This is one awesome piece of software! I have a few feature requests though smile

* For the Popup module, coud you please add X and Y options so I can postion the initial point of spawn? (I guess it would be the lower left corner of the popup, one at the bottom) Noteo's default location (far right, 32 pixels up) doesn't look all that great on a dual screen monitor.
* For the Popup module, what is the WM_NAME or WM_CLASS? If these aren't known, could you set them to that they are unique among the noteo windows (however few), that way window matching utilities such as Devilspie can manipulate the pop ups (thus not neccessitating the addition of the X/Y config options)
* This is probably the most complicated idea to implement (at least, it may, though I kind think I'm blowing this out of proportion...), could you create some type of theming engine? Nothing advanced, just tweak a color here, enable/disable HTML (I honestly don't mind, but sometimes I like it disabled), possibly add images or set the background to a specific image?
* Configuration option to disable the status icon. I don't need it, but others may want it (thus, leaving the tray icon available)
* In the about dialog, could you list the modules loaded? Besides looking at the configuration file, I don't see any way to check what modules were actually loaded/searched for.

Anyways, thank you for the awesomeness of Noteo! Yay less GNOME-using code!

edit: a list of *'s don't translate into a list, so bold them to make them look more like bullets

Last edited by zenix (2008-10-04 00:55:49)

I made an AUR helper once.
I also go by evaryont and nogweii elsewhere on the internet.
Check out my projects and packages.

#36 2008-10-04 01:56:54

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, I'm not currently using this myself, but I will certainly be keeping an eye on it. This has the potential to be one incredibly useful piece of software. HOWEVER, even though I'm not actually using it, I could potentially be confinced to work on a few plugins for it IF people are willing to let me know what they want/need (HINT HINT)

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#37 2008-10-04 18:05:52

Zibi1981

I would like some modules showing some notifications when certain actions are being performed on my GX600P laptop, like it is with MSI System Control Manager under Vista. For example I'm notified when I turn on/off touchpad, webcam, WLAN, Bluetooth etc. is it possible?

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#38 2008-10-06 19:13:53

bavardage

Ideas mentioned are great. I really ought to put some work into noteo - clean up the code etc. When I find some time I'll get round to it big_smile

#39 2009-04-01 15:21:09

palobo

Hi. I just installed this and let me say... WOW. Nice piece of software.

I am currently trying to learn python so I will try and hack together a module for noteo.

Any requests? If not, I'll try and think of something useful and start hacking smile

Cheers and thanks bavardage!!

" If it aint broke... Then you're not trying hard enough! "

Board footer