You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-08 16:12:01

DJayC

Nautilus - "Cannot add application to application datab

I'm having a problem that I've heard a few fellow Arch users are getting.  I'm using gnome 2.8 (with nautilus as the file manager), and whenever I try to open a file (either by double clicking it, or right click / open with..) it pops up and asks which application should be associated with the file type.  All is fine up to this point.. I select the application (full path name of course.. yes it exists), and when I click ok I get the follow error message:

"Can not add application to application database"

Then it just dumps me back to the input box to enter an application.  The end result is I cannot open anything from within nautilus.  I raised the question in the IRC channel, and a couple other users were reporting the same problem.  Anyone else encountering this?  Anyone have a solution?

#2 2004-11-09 22:44:40

DJayC

Re: Nautilus - "Cannot add application to application datab

I know some people were having problems with this as well, so I figured out the problem.  The application database is stored in .local in your home directory.  If you are experiencing problems with this, verify the permissions of your .local directory.  In my case, some of the files were owned by root and I wasn't able to view the directory.  I changed the ownership, and I was all set.  For a quick fix, just wipe out the ~/.local directory.  (you may lose some settings though).

Board footer