You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-01 19:37:03

russianwizard

Rhythmbox skips when I scroll or move windows

Rhythmbox skips when I scroll or move windows. Ive googled the problem and suposedly I have to increase the buffer on pulseaudio. I don't even have it installed, and quite frankly, I don't want to install it tongue The last time I had pulase audio it broke all audio playback on my comp >.<

SONY VAIO VGN-FS630/W, 1.73Ghz Pentium M, 512mb RAM (Intel 915GM) (Ubuntu 9.04, Arch & BT3)

#2 2009-04-01 22:58:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Rhythmbox skips when I scroll or move windows

You must be using compiz,  in that case if your system isn't very strong (or its relatively loaded) the addition Xorg load when you do the fancy effects causes a skip.

That's the diagnosis, solution depends on what your system is like, what's your sound setup? ALSA, OSS, JACK?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-04-02 00:18:55

russianwizard

I'm using fluxbox and Ive even set off opaque window moving and smooth scrolling for firefox.

SONY VAIO VGN-FS630/W, 1.73Ghz Pentium M, 512mb RAM (Intel 915GM) (Ubuntu 9.04, Arch & BT3)

#4 2009-04-02 00:31:04

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Perhaps you'd like to check top/htop to see what's eating CPU when you move windows? My conky shows me that, but you may not be running it.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-04-02 00:38:05

russianwizard

X seems to be eating up all of my cpu when it cuts out. It only happens with rhythmbox, vlc does not cut out at all.

Last edited by russianwizard (2009-04-02 00:41:21)

#6 2009-04-02 04:10:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Perhaps this is composition related (transparency), since it looks like your X is straining to do some work. Any possibility to turn composition off? Using any proprietary graphics drivers? What's your graphics setup?

Board footer