You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-10 03:45:13

miasma
Website

wlan-config wireless configuration utility

Hi, I just uploaded wlan-config-3.0.1 to incoming.
This is a great tool for roaming wireless users.
I have package details in the new and requested packages forum.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=8028

I use it to configure complex "per-network" settings, connect to vpns, set up routes, default printers, etc.  It has been working great for me!

Please let me know what you think of this, I could really use some user feedback.

I know that the script does not have user configured IP settings (only dhcp).  Is this somthing most people want, I have never had a need for it on wireless networks, but could add it easily.

The package requires the perl module Config::General which I also uploaded to incoming as perl-config-general.

There is a quasi gui that uses kdialog, gwlan-config, let me know how you like that.
This is why there is the kdebase requirement, however, I am not sure if I should have that requirement since wlan-config does not require it.

Please, again, give me some feedback!

#2 2004-11-10 15:25:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: wlan-config wireless configuration utility

just out of curiosity, why is the kde gui prepended with a "g" - gnome apps prepend a g, kde apps prepend a k, by convention - if it uses kde, shouldn't it be kwlan-config?

#3 2004-11-10 15:30:52

miasma
Website

gui, graphical.... dont really know, maybe i should change it to kwlan-config... or wlan-Konfig

#4 2004-11-10 15:33:02

cjdj

miasma wrote:

I know that the script does not have user configured IP settings (only dhcp).  Is this somthing most people want, I have never had a need for it on wireless networks, but could add it easily.

Actually, that feature would be usefull to me.  I have a laptop, and at home, I use a static IP address, but at work I use a DHCP address.  And the software in windows does this for me.

I only just installed Archlinux on it, and havent taken it to work yet, but what you have there sounds fairly cool and probably useful to me.

Thanks!

#5 2004-11-10 15:33:58

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

miasma wrote:

gui, graphical.... dont really know, maybe i should change it to kwlan-config... or wlan-Konfig

ok, I get it - makes sense.  but I think most people (me included) associate "g" with gnome and "k" with kde : gmplayer = gtk, kmplayer = kde.

just pointing it out

#6 2004-11-10 15:41:23

miasma
Website

phrakture wrote:
miasma wrote:

ok, I get it - makes sense.  but I think most people (me included) associate "g" with gnome and "k" with kde : gmplayer = gtk, kmplayer = kde.

just pointing it out

well, i originally started writing it in perltk which is a gtk widget set if that is any consolation.  i will see about changing it in the next release.

i will also look into adding static ip support, i will try to put up a release within the next week.

I will add:
IP address
Netmask (do you need me to add broadcast address?)
Default GW
DNS 1, 2

Each of those settings will be "per-network."

Anything else?

#7 2004-11-12 00:27:41

miasma
Website

I have just released wlan-config 3.1

It can now handle static ips
It will redirect a default gateway
It can set DNS and domain options in /etc/resolv.conf

gwlan-config has been renamed to wlan-konfig

I REALLY need people to test it out so I can iron out the bugs.

A package exists in incoming:
wlan-config-3.1-1.src.tar.gz

Here is the link to the new packages forum post:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=8028

Let me know what you think!  It needs testing!

I would really like to see it included in arch at some point...

Board footer