You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-01 08:16:00

kruemeltee

self written keymap within xorg

Hello everybody,

after a successfull installation of archlinuxppc on my ibook clamshell I missed some characters on the keyboard (for instance the pipe symbol | and some others). So I decided to rewrite a keymap for this keyboard based on the de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map.gz.  I redefined some keys so I got my personel de-ibook.map.gz. I used this with the help of /etc/rc.conf and got it working within the console (init 3).
Within X it seems as if this keymap doesn't work. But I'm currently not really sure how to get a self written keymap within X. At first I tried to use the configuration of xorg.conf. But this was not successfull. It seems as if xorg isn't intrested in the input-section of xorg.conf. I searched a little bit and found out that evdev is now responsible for the keymap. So I installed the package xf86-input-evdev and tried it the wiki way. But I just got the de keymap working (without my changes within the de-ibook).
Is anybody out there who's able to explain, how xorg is configuring the keymap, how I'm able to get my own keymap working, how I have to write the keymap to get it working and/or if I have to write the complete keymap (without includes).

I'm currently on to write the keymap completely (without any includes) but there are some similiar questions. I need a table or something where the written characters (named like "section", "twosuperior", "asterisk", "BackSpace" ... any useable symbols within a keymap) are explained ... some of them I know, but I think at least 5% of all named symbols.

Thanks a lot!

regards,
kruemeltee

#2 2009-04-01 09:12:14

kruemeltee

Re: self written keymap within xorg

I'm currently trying to get xorg working with my self-written keymap without evdev by adding the line

Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"

my current input sections looks like this:

Section "Input Device"
    Identifier    "ibook Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"   "de"
    Option        "XkbVariant"  "ibook"
EndSection

If I used this configuration without the Option of XkbVariant I got the de kaymap working, without any errors. If I try this with the Option of "XkbVariant" I got the following error:

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:               No Symbols named "ibook" in the included file "de"
>                      Exiting
>                      Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

This happens if I use "ibook" or "de_ibook" as the XkbVariant.

If I used "de_ibook" as XkbLayout instead it seems to work. But some "special" keys are not working. On the Ibook keyboard there is a "enter" key on the right of Space. This Key is not useful for me so I reconfigured this key with the function of AltGr. But this "reconfiguration" doesn't work within X ... within the console (tty1) it's working. Does anybody have any ideas on this issue?

regards
kruemeltee

#3 2009-04-01 10:43:23

Vintendo
Website

Isnt it easier to use xmodmap for this kind of things?

#4 2009-04-01 13:19:22

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

The way I do it is to manually edit /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us, make the layout how I want it, add that file to pacman's NoUpgrade setting, and then I have it set in xorg.conf. The console keymap and xorg keymap are two different things.

#5 2009-04-02 09:55:16

kruemeltee

why is the console keymap a different thing as the X keymap? And how is it different?

I already tried it with xmodmap, but xmodmap isn't able to load my "console"-keymap (as I think like Daenyth said, these two keymaps are different)

Currently my keymap seems to work, but not all keys are present (nor my reconfiguration of AltGr neither äöü are working) ... may it help to rewrite the complete keymap with no includes?

greetings
kruemeltee

p.s. if the console keymap is different to the x keymap is there any way to convert the console keymap into a x keymap?

Last edited by kruemeltee (2009-04-02 10:00:11)

Board footer