You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-02 09:24:31

mzanetti

KDE 4.2.2 breaks Plasma

Hi!

I've upgraded KDE to version 4.2.2. Since then my plasma desktop is broken.

The panels are ok but the desktop background has one away. If I remove my plasma config and restore the default one, the desktop has some sort of black overlay. I cannot see the widgets on the desktop or the wallpaper except on the upper border. There also the overlay seems to be broken an I can see small parts of my Folderview Plasmoid and the wallpaper. I have noticed that there are 2 new config files in ~./kde4/share/config/ called plasma-overlayrc and plasma-overlay-appletsrc. I have tried to remove all of plasma related configs. The issue is still the same....

X and plasma produce high CPU load.

Also, plasma keeps on throwing this warning:

Plasma::Theme::imagePath: Theme says: bad image path "widgets/toolbox"

Any ideas how to restore my Desktop?

btw. Packages are from extra of x86_64 branch.

Thanks,
Michael

#2 2009-04-02 10:15:07

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: KDE 4.2.2 breaks Plasma

Does this happen with a new user, too? Are you using any third party pacakges or plasmoids?

#3 2009-04-02 10:48:11

mzanetti

Pierre wrote:

Does this happen with a new user, too? Are you using any third party pacakges or plasmoids?

Hi Pierre,
I have moved my ~/.kde4 directory and restarted KDE. I get the following error message:

kstartupconfig4 does not exist or failed. Return code is 3.

Well, it does exist, but seems to fail...

After restoring my .kde4 directory I was able to login again. Somehow my kdebase-workspace installation seems to be completely broken.

I have removed all third party plasmoids, themes and so on and reinstalled kdebase-workspace. The issue still remains.

In the meantime I have noticed that all my keyboard shortcuts are broken too. I cannot Alt+Tab, Alt+F2 (krunner) and all other shortcuts are gone too. So I think kwin is broken too. Anyways, desktop effects and switching windows through the partially broken panel still works. All applications like Kontact, Konqueror, Kopete etc also work...

So in short:
- Plasma is not able to startup the desktop, the panels are screwed up (does not matter if clean config or my old one) and produces high CPU load,
- KWin is not able to recognize keyboard shortcuts (everything else kwin related works fine).
- logging in with a clean config (empty ~) does not work because kstartupconfig4 is broken.
- everything else works.

Last edited by mzanetti (2009-04-02 10:48:28)

#4 2009-04-02 16:08:29

mzanetti

I have been able to solve this by choosing the hard way:
Do not repeat this unless you know what you are doing!!!

pacman -R `pacman -Qq | grep kde`
pacman -R `pacman -Qtq`
pacman -S kde

My kde starts up fine again. More than the half of my system got removed... I guess this cleanout was overdue.

What I don't really understand:
As far I can see from the help pacman -Qt should only list packages that are not required. IMHO this should be packages installed only as a dependency for other packages which got removed. Why did it remove also packages like aurbuild where I am 100% sure I have installed it explicitly using pacman -U aurbuild.pkg?

Thanks,
Michael

Board footer