You are not logged in.

#1101 2009-04-03 00:56:59

tw

Re: Acer Aspire One

Just wanted to let people know that the second to last of Tera's kernels seems to work great. Even suspend/resume works. Still can't get that working with the latest kernel.

One question: the second to last kernel doesn't have acerhdf built in, right?

Also: is there a list of all modules built into the kernel, so I can blacklist them in rc.conf? I checked but haven't been able to find a complete list.

Thanks!

#1102 2009-04-03 01:54:32

froli

kaola_linux wrote:

@froli

# kernel26-one-dev
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-one-dev root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=789

If you have a seperate /boot partition, do it like this

# kernel26-one-dev
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-one-dev root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=789

Remember to do an

fdisk -l

first to be able to know the partition of your root...:)

"vga 789" is optional.

@Tera - just checked the AUR and your kernel has still the date  Thu, 26 Mar 2009 10:20:12 +0000...:( I've just compiled it last night it has problems with suspend and hibernate...

Thanks it works! wink

archlinux on Macbook Pro 10,1

#1103 2009-04-03 05:11:43

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 74#p527774

Started new thread ... as requested

Mr Green

#1104 2009-05-27 14:09:01

guzenkov

Can anyone help with a problem on Acer One? Closing the lid has a hal action to pm-suspend, but to resume I have to press keys at least 3 times. After the first key is pressed the screen goes live for one second, than suspends again. For the next 5-10 sec whatever you press does not resume. Then it does. It is ALWAYS this way. But executing pm-suspend works perfectly. What can be the problem?

Acer Aspire One

#1105 2009-05-27 19:57:34

Zom

There is another thread for this, so in the future, use that one. There's a link in the post above yours.

Now, to the problem: Sounds like it's executing the suspend multiple times. It's similar to another laptop I had that took longer to suspend, so sometimes you pressed suspend twice and it behaved the same way (suspend, resume, suspend again).

Check so you don't have any power manager putting the machine to sleep as well as the acpi script.

#1106 2009-05-28 01:07:17

thayer
Fellow
Website

guzenkov wrote:

Can anyone help with a problem on Acer One? Closing the lid has a hal action to pm-suspend, but to resume I have to press keys at least 3 times. After the first key is pressed the screen goes live for one second, than suspends again. For the next 5-10 sec whatever you press does not resume. Then it does. It is ALWAYS this way. But executing pm-suspend works perfectly. What can be the problem?

The problem is that ACPI always sees the lid as closed.  You can run the following to confirm this:

cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state

So what happens is that upon resume, when the ACPI event is triggered again it reads the lid as closed and goes back into suspend mode.  I haven't seen a workaround for this yet, but I also haven't bothered with it much.  To suspend, I just press Fn+F4 which I have bound with Xbindkeys.

Update: Meant to post some time ago that the current BIOS (as of 2009-09-06) for the AOD150 corrects the lid ACPI status...suspend works flawless now.

Last edited by thayer (2009-09-06 19:07:36)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#1107 2009-05-28 06:08:31

guzenkov

I solved the problem very quickly, although prior to posting it here I spend more than 6 hours on it.
@thayer  the lid indicator works fine
~/arch/acpi #  cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
state:      open

The problem was that in /etc/acpi/events there were two files for the same event=button/lid.*
Afer one of them was removed everything works fine.
But thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited by guzenkov (2009-05-28 06:09:44)

Acer Aspire One

#1108 2009-08-29 00:48:11

mokkurkalve

Hello! I just bought what was sold as Acer Aspire One D150. Is this the same thats called AOD150 on the wiki? Seems like it... Thought I've have a go at a lightweight setup with Arch, LXDE and SLIM. Running stock kernel (for now atleast). Arch looks good so far (I'm becoming somewhat tired of Ubuntu slowly becoming Windows...). But I'm wondering about the CPU speeds utilised by Arch. BIOS reports the CPU as Atom N280 running at 1.66GHz. Same are reported by my live USB with Parted Magic 4.4 (2.6.30.4 kernel). However in Arch with cpufreq-info or "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies" I get the speeds 800MHz, 1.07GHz and 1.33GHz as available to me, and those are the speeds used by cpufreq_ondemand. No exsistence of any speed of 1.66MHz...? So does anybody know the reason for this discrepancy...?

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
- Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

#1109 2009-09-25 22:56:07

pmvalente

Hello! I'm trying to install Arch n my AAO 110L. From ythe arch wiki, I'm triying to mount the SDCard before /arch/setup.
I mount with:
1st #mkdir /mnt/sdcard
2nd #mount -t ext4 /dev/mmcblk0 /mnt/sdcard
but when I choose prepare hard drivers, them Manually partition hard drives, it only appears the sda and sdb no sdcard, any help on this.

#1110 2009-12-03 07:06:40

vajorie

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I posted some installation info for Acer's Android'ed Aspire One. See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AOD250-1613

In fact, I would be really happy if you could get my formatting straight... I couldn't find how to provide, for instance, the output of lspci in a clean way...
Thanks smile

#1111 2009-12-03 07:10:39

vajorie

mokkurkalve wrote:

Hello! I just bought what was sold as Acer Aspire One D150. Is this the same thats called AOD150 on the wiki? Seems like it... Thought I've have a go at a lightweight setup with Arch, LXDE and SLIM. Running stock kernel (for now atleast). Arch looks good so far (I'm becoming somewhat tired of Ubuntu slowly becoming Windows...). But I'm wondering about the CPU speeds utilised by Arch. BIOS reports the CPU as Atom N280 running at 1.66GHz. Same are reported by my live USB with Parted Magic 4.4 (2.6.30.4 kernel). However in Arch with cpufreq-info or "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies" I get the speeds 800MHz, 1.07GHz and 1.33GHz as available to me, and those are the speeds used by cpufreq_ondemand. No exsistence of any speed of 1.66MHz...? So does anybody know the reason for this discrepancy...?

Yes, d150 = aod150 smile ao stands for aspire one (also called "aa1").

And the issue with cpufreq is a problem for many. See http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cp … 3&aq=f&oq= There is no known solution for it, as far as I know, except not to load the module acpi_cpufreq. That of course is not a very good solution (for power saving thru cpu as well as less fan usage).

Last edited by vajorie (2009-12-20 21:20:58)

#1112 2010-06-18 15:27:19

deemytch

Hi all

I can`t boot arch`201005 on AO751h from an usb cardreader.
A wrote the dual-boot iso to the flashcard, and when booting it stops on lines:

scsi0 : pata_sch
scsi1 : pata_sch

ata1: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x1f0 ctl 0x2f6 bmdma irq14
ata2: blablabla

and that`s all. No kernel panic, no errors messages, just waiting for something, that I don`t know what.

Any suggestions?

UPD: Just made another bootable stick, but nothing new happens.

Last edited by deemytch (2010-06-18 15:30:58)

#1113 2010-06-20 19:05:01

Caveman85de

Don't use a flashcard, i'll require modules that are not available during the boot-up.
Use an usb-stick instead.

#1114 2010-06-20 19:59:36

deemytch

As I wrote - it cannot boot from usb stick also. sad

#1115 2010-12-31 16:21:14

sironitomas
Website

I have an AAO D260. Can anyone help me with the SD card reader? This is my thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=110947

If I can make it work, I'm willing to create the D260 wiki page.

Thanks!

#1116 2012-02-19 08:53:35

thetrivialstuff

Oy this is a long thread... but I guess this is the place to add such things:

I have an AAO (ZG5), and everything on it worked beautifully, until the internal SSD ran out of write cycles. (Bought it used from a guy who had XP on it -- with a pagefile. Amazed it lasted as long as it did.) Am now trying to use the left SD card slot as my /home, set up as a luks encrypted partition with a btrfs filesystem on it.

I am having the apparently very common problem that the SD card doesn't come back nicely after suspend. In particular, it acts as if the card has been removed, and inserted as a new card. So, all access to the card gets completely borked -- device mapper rejects it, as does cryptsetup/luks, and of course btrfs throws I/O errors. (As it's not entirely stable yet, it also throws all kinds of panics and sometimes crashes the whole system.)

I've tried various tweaks mentioned here; everything short of trying a different kernel. Is that the only way to make this work? What's strange is that I can have a USB flash drive plugged into this thing, with an encrypted luks partition on it and a mounted filesystem on top of that, and it comes back with absolutely no problems after suspend -- even though the USB ports get totally powered off during suspend, and I can unplug the drive. (I just have to remember to plug it back into the same USB port before I wake the computer up.)

One more hunch that I'm working on, but cannot find enough documentation for, is to see if I can make the card reader remain powered during sleep mode. This might prevent it from telling the kernel, "oh, that card you were using was ejected; this is a new card." I suspect there might be a way to accomplish this by configuring an option for the sdhci_pci module, but I have not been able to find any documentation on available options besides quirks=1 and quirks=0x40 -- and I can't even find out what those two do. Does anyone know where the list of options for this module is documented, or some other way to force the card reader to stay on? It appears to be a PCI device, but it does not show up in
/proc/acpi/wakeup .

If using a custom kernel is the only option, I think I'll go to plan B: run an absolutely minimal homedir out of RAM, and just add an unmount / close luks container / reopen luks container / remount routine around the acpi sleep handler, and have all my data mounted in ~/data or something like that. Only tricky part will be figuring out how to cache the passphrase somewhere securely, so I don't have to type it on resume.

#1117 2012-03-20 01:08:35

thetrivialstuff

I think I just figured this out, finally -- more testing is required, but I just managed to:

mount an SD card
enter suspend
resume from suspend

..and the SD card was still mounted, with no I/O errors when I tried to sync/read/write to it!

The answer is this:

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/MMC_U … ESUME.html

The configuration item CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME:
prompt: Assume MMC/SD cards are non-removable (DANGEROUS)

If you say Y here, the MMC layer will assume that all cards stayed in their respective slots during the suspend. The normal behaviour is to remove them at suspend and redetecting them at resume. Breaking this assumption will in most cases result in data corruption.

This option is usually just for embedded systems which use a MMC/SD card for rootfs. Most people should say N here.

This option sets a default which can be overridden by the module parameter "removable=0" or "removable=1".

...Yeah, but *not* assuming this will *also* cause data corruption, by kicking the card out and resetting the hardware... anyway, the great news is that this is now a runtime-configurable parameter. You don't have to recompile anything to change that option; you just need to tell the mmc_core module removable=0, i.e. in:

/etc/modprobe.d/mmc_core.conf

options mmc_core removable=0

Then reboot, or unload and reload mmc_core, and SD cards will survive standby mode. Or appear to... as I said, I will have to test further. I eventually hope to run my root filesystem off a bigger SD card, so I'll report back on how that goes later.

Board footer